This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9962 / 51°59'46"N
Longitude: -2.1555 / 2°9'19"W
OS Eastings: 389420
OS Northings: 233099
OS Grid: SO894330
Mapcode National: GBR 1JK.V5C
Mapcode Global: VH93T.L3B0
Plus Code: 9C3VXRWV+FR
Entry Name: Hereford House
Listing Date: 4 March 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282778
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376820
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8933 HIGH STREET
859-1/5/237 (East side)
Large house in row, now in multiple occupation. c1770s.
Flemish bond brickwork, tile roofs, brick stacks. A parapeted
front range, 3 hipped roofed rear wings with valley gutters;
the 2 right-hand units run to a flush rear wall, but the unit
to the left projects further as a wing. In the street front
there is a clear join and slight change in the brickwork at
the last 2 bays, suggesting either a reconstruction, or
perhaps construction originally in two phases. To the right
the party wall curves inwards, to align with the burgage-plot
division which is not square to the street front.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and basement, 5-windowed Georgian front.
All plain sashes in exposed boxes and to brick voussoirs. The
central windows are to arched heads. Central 6-panel fielded
door under a radial bar fanlight in a Doric doorcase, with
fluted neckings to the columns, and on 3 stone steps with
nosings. To the right, in a new section of walling, is an
opening surmounted by an C18 pedimented door-head on a
pulvinated frieze and with central apron. A high plinth
containing 2 blocked basement openings, and a coped parapet.
The rear has a broad central C19 door incorporating 6 panes of
glazing; to its right is an arched stair window with glazing
bars, and there are various sashes.
INTERIOR: partial inspection only. The rear central tight-well
staircase has a lower flight with stick balusters to a
wreathed handrail, and fretwork decoration to the open string,
but the upper-flight stair has a solid moulded string, turned
balusters and moulded handrail. The balustrade returns across
the landing to the top floor.
Listing NGR: SO8942033099
Other nearby listed buildings