History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Golden Guinea Restaurant

A Grade II* Listed Building in Looe, Cornwall

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.354 / 50°21'14"N

Longitude: -4.4539 / 4°27'13"W

OS Eastings: 225532

OS Northings: 53336

OS Grid: SX255533

Mapcode National: GBR NG.W1SK

Mapcode Global: FRA 18K3.GMR

Entry Name: The Golden Guinea Restaurant

Listing Date: 19 March 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1282859

English Heritage Legacy ID: 376384

Location: Looe, Cornwall, PL13

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Looe

Built-Up Area: Looe

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Martin with St Nicholas, Looe

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Looe

Listing Text


LOOE

SX2453 FORE STREET, East Looe
857-1/4/13 (East side)
19/03/51 The Golden Guinea Restaurant

GV II*

Probable merchant's house. Early C17. Stucco on timber-frame;
steep asbestos slate parallel roofs; central axial rubble
stack and capped rendered stack on the left. Double-depth plan
with near central through passage plus C20 extensions at rear.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus attics; 2-window range. 1st floor has
2 rare wide original canted 6-light-plus-sidelight oriel
windows, carried on moulded and carved brackets; moulded
sills, transoms and ovolo-moulded mullions; central king
mullions; horizontal glazing bars possibly in position of
former saddle bars. Ground floor has 2 early C19 16-pane
hornless sashes under left-hand oriel and bowed C20 window
under right-hand oriel. Original moulded doorway left of
centre with C20 panelled door.
INTERIOR: C17 moulded plank and muntin screen to left of
passage; right-hand room has C17 moulded plaster ceiling
cornice with trailing vine; hood of former fireplace (now
doorway) carried on consoles; lower room space behind the
moulded and carved cornice; left-hand front room with C18
moulded ceiling cornice; some C18 doors with fielded panels.
1st-floor chamber has C17 plaster panel, a crude relief with
figures and angel, plants and beast with inscription "To obey
is better than sacrifice EEE". Another plaster relief panel in
same room dated 1652. Another panel, (not seen), said to have
1632 date and initials EW.


Listing NGR: SX2553253336

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.