This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3745 / 53°22'28"N
Longitude: -1.318 / 1°19'4"W
OS Eastings: 445469
OS Northings: 386615
OS Grid: SK454866
Mapcode National: GBR MY7F.G2
Mapcode Global: WHDDR.QFKX
Plus Code: 9C5W9MFJ+QQ
Entry Name: Chapel House
Listing Date: 11 June 1975
Last Amended: 1 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286535
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335886
Location: Aston cum Aughton, Rotherham, S26
Civil Parish: Aston cum Aughton
Built-Up Area: Swallownest
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Aston cum Aughton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
ASTON-CUM-AUGHTON MAIN STREET
No 97 (Chapel House)
(formerly listed as
Old Methodist Chapel)
Methodist Chapel now house. Dated 1843, later porch and wing added c1900.
Horizontally-tooled, coursed sandstone; Welsh slate roof. 1 storey, 3 bays
with 2-storey wing to rear right. Central, double, panelled door and
fanlight with radial glazing bars enclosed within later C19 ashlar porch
having pilastered and open-pedimented surround to cavetto-moulded and
rusticated round-arched opening with large keystone. Flanking windows have
renewed casements in tall, square-faced surrounds with projecting sills.
Plaque aver porch with some inscription chiselled off but retaining words:
'ERECTED JULY / 1843'. Shaped kneelers and ashlar gable copings. Left
return: wing in brick, save bricks with commemorative initials. Right
return: wing faced in stone. Interior not of special interest.
Listing NGR: SK4546986615
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings