History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Winstanley Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Winstanley, Wigan

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5226 / 53°31'21"N

Longitude: -2.6888 / 2°41'19"W

OS Eastings: 354430

OS Northings: 403099

OS Grid: SD544030

Mapcode National: GBR 9WNP.PZ

Mapcode Global: WH86S.NQTD

Entry Name: Winstanley Hall

Listing Date: 23 August 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1287365

English Heritage Legacy ID: 402576

Location: Wigan, WN3

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Winstanley

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Highfield St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Upholland

Listing Text

SD 50 SW
8/39

BILLINGE-WITH-WINSTANLEY,
PEMBERTON ROAD
(west side),
Winstanley Hall

23.8.66

G.V.

II*

House. c.1573 with extensions and alterations, 1818-19, by
Lewis Wyatt, and extensions of 1840s. Irregular plan, the
garden front of three storeys, five bays with 2-storey, 3-bay
1840's extension to right. 1st and 5th bays project, 2nd and
4th bays form re-entrant blocks. Top cornice and deep
parapet. Ground floor has tripartite sashes with glazing
bars to 1st and 5th bays. Other windows have ovolo mullions
and label moulds. To ground floor, 2nd and 4th bays have
windows of four lights with transom, 3rd bay has 10-light
window with king mullion and transom. 1st floor has
5:3:9:3:5-light windows, 1st, 3rd and 5th bays have
transoms. Second floor has 3-light windows, two to 3rd bay.
Centre of parapet has armorial bearing and date 1819.
Extension has varied fenestration and date 1843. Entrance
front to left return, by Lewis Wyatt, of 5 bays with central
4-storey projecting entrance bay. Hollow-chamfered cross-
mullion windows with label moulds, no transoms to 2nd floor
windows. Doric porch to entrance has Ionic entablature with
pulvinated frieze and parapet; round-headed entrance with
paired studded doors. Flat projecting lateral stacks between
1st and 2nd, 4th and 5th bays, with diagonal shafts. Rear
has canted end bay, gabled bays and later extensions. Wide
gabled bay has armorial bearings and date 1780, at least one
Diocletian window. Varied mullioned and sashed windows.
Right return has extensions of 1840's and one dated 1889,
one canted bay has 1st floor iron balcony, attached to 1889
bays are 2 C17 bays with 2 entrances with architraves and
bull's eyes.

INTERIOR: Principal rooms have friezes,
cornices and fireplaces. Hall has panelling to one end. One
room has wall paintings dating from wartime occupation by
R.A.F. Stair has iron balusters, Diocletian window and
ceiling rose. 1st-floor room has C17 panelling and two
cupboards with strap hinges; Tudor-head doorway. Room in
1840's extension has elaborate Jacobean style panelling with
herms and fireplace with Jacobean style grate; room below
has panelling and painted glass windows.

Listing NGR: SD5443003099

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.