This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5292 / 53°31'45"N
Longitude: -2.6724 / 2°40'20"W
OS Eastings: 355523
OS Northings: 403830
OS Grid: SD555038
Mapcode National: GBR 9WSM.7L
Mapcode Global: WH86S.XKL8
Plus Code: 9C5VG8HH+M2
Entry Name: Church of St Matthew
Listing Date: 11 July 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384453
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484887
Location: Wigan, WN3
Electoral Ward/Division: Winstanley
Built-Up Area: Wigan
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Highfield St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SD50SE BILLINGE ROAD, Highfield
24-1/5/128 Church of St Matthew
Church. 1892-94. By Paley, Austin and Paley, for Col Henry
Blundell, owner of Pemberton Colliery; enlarged and altered
1910 by Austin and Paley.
MATERIALS: snecked pink sandstone, red tiled roof.
STYLE: Early English.
PLAN: 5-bay nave (extended one bay to the west), with 2-bay
north aisle, 5-bay south aisle (extended 3 bays to the west),
north and south transepts and crossing tower with spire,
EXTERIOR: the nave has clasping pilasters, 2 very tall lancet
west windows with a multifoil above, on the north side 2 tall
lancets flanking a gabled north porch and 2 shorter lancets
above the aisle, which is pilastered and has similar lancets
and a parapet; the south aisle, of 4 unequal bays, has similar
lancets, paired in the 2 west bays.
Both transepts have clasping pilasters, the north transept has
3 cusped lancets and the south transept has one lancet and a
The crossing tower, of 2 unequal stages, with clasping corner
pilasters and a north-east stair-turret, has pilaster strips
carried up to the belfry stage, which is distinguished by a
string course and has arcading with 2 louvred belfry windows
in each side, a parapet stepped up at the corners, and a tall
recessed octagonal spire with lucarnes in the cardinal sides.
All windows mentioned above have reveals with 2 orders of
chamfer, and hood-moulds.
The chancel has 3 lancets in each side and stepped
triple-lancet east windows, all these with 3 orders of chamfer
and those in the sides with linked hood-moulds.
INTERIOR: 2-bay north aisle, 5 bay south aisle (3 bays added
1910), with arcades of double-chamfered arches on cylindrical
columns and responds with moulded caps; crossing arches larger
and more elaborately moulded, with pulpit linked to north-east
pier; roof of queen-strut trusses alternating with arch-braced
king post trusses; Lady chapel in north transept, organ in
south transept; richly-shafted windows on north side of
chancel, sedilia on south side.
Listing NGR: SD5552303830
Other nearby listed buildings