This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1076 / 52°6'27"N
Longitude: -1.3036 / 1°18'12"W
OS Eastings: 447793
OS Northings: 245698
OS Grid: SP477456
Mapcode National: GBR 7S9.TGJ
Mapcode Global: VHCW2.C965
Entry Name: Williamscot House, Late Sixteenth Century Range
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Last Amended: 26 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287374
English Heritage Legacy ID: 402604
Location: Wardington, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX17
Civil Parish: Wardington
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Cropredy
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
WARDINGTON CROPREDY ROAD
SP4645 (West side)
18/153 Williamscot House, late C16
(Formerly listed as in the
parish of Cropredy)
Part of Countryhouse, now 2 dwellings. (For description of C18 range see
Williamscot House, Georgian Wing). c.1568. Balustraded parapet added to front
and crenellated parapet to rear in 1840. Crenellated single-storey porch added
1870. Garden front. Squared coursed ironstone fronted with ironstone ashlar.
Slate roof. Stone-coped gables. Renewed end stacks on original stone bases.
L-plan. 2 storeys plus attic. 7-window range. Entrance has panelled/glazed door
with margin lights. Stone architrave surround. French doors on left. Two
2-storey C16 bay windows at sides have sashes and casements. Ground and first
floors each have 5 sashes in stone surrounds. 4 gabled roof dormers. Balustraded
parapet. Rear. Crenellated parapet. 3-light stone mullion windows. Doorway with
4-centred head. Interior of right part. C16 moulded and chamfered lateral and
spine beams. C18 staircase with barley sugar balusters. Armorial stained glass
in first floor bay window and window on left gable: 1. Calcott of Williamscot
with crest. 2. The same without crest dated 1568. 3., 4. and 5. staple merchants
dated 1568. Interior of left part not inspected. Walter Calcott built the
original house in c.1568. It passed either by bequest or descent to his nephew
Calcott Chanbre and to the Taylor family by sale in the first half of the C17,
In 1777 the house passed by marriage to the Loveday family. In c.1978 the house
was sold and converted to 3 dwellings.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p825)
Listing NGR: SP4779345698
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings