This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6705 / 52°40'13"N
Longitude: 1.6968 / 1°41'48"E
OS Eastings: 650038
OS Northings: 314501
OS Grid: TG500145
Mapcode National: GBR YPR.HV7
Mapcode Global: WHNVS.149K
Entry Name: Ormesby Old Hall
Listing Date: 20 February 1952
Last Amended: 4 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287569
English Heritage Legacy ID: 402067
Location: Ormesby St. Margaret with Scratby, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR29
District: Great Yarmouth
Civil Parish: Ormesby St. Margaret with Scratby
Built-Up Area: Ormesby St Margaret
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Ormesby St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 51 SW ORMESBY ST. MARGARET YARMOUTH ROAD
WITH SCRATBY (north side)
5/30 Ormesby Old Hall (formerly
20.2.52 listed as Ormesby Hall)
House. Mid C17 but re-fronted and remodelled 1735. Brick with slate roofs.
Double pile plan. South front in header bond only, a great rarity. 2 storeys
in 7 bays, the central 3 bays broken forward under pediment. Central panelled
door in panelled reveals. Timber doorcase of Tuscan columns on high pedestals
supporting Doric entablature. Over door a high relief carving of a bearded
head and fruit and foliage trails. Sash windows with glazing bars beneath
gauged skewback arches. Platband at first floor. Rusticated quoins close
elevation at east and west. Moulded brick eaves cornice below high stone-
capped parapet. Within parapet 2 groups of 10 balusters and on parapet stand
5 stone urns symmetrically disposed. Gabled roof with 2 flat-topped dormers.
4 symmetrical ridge stacks. North elevation betrays C17 origins. 2 storeys
and dormer attic in 8 bays. Gibbsian doorway in third bay from right
containing original pegged and panelled door. Above door is 6-vaned fanlight.
Broken segmental pediment stands on keystones and provides a frame for an urn.
Fenestration of sash windows in flush frames all with glazing bars and
segmental gauged skewback arches. Deep brick ovolo and rolled platband at
first floor, of C17. Eaves platband below parapet. Gabled roof with 3 flat-
topped dormers. Western gable end stack and ridge stack left of centre.
Against western gables is a single storey brick and slate library by R.W. Edis
of 1900 : 4 sashes to west and a Gibbsian French window to north; hipped roof.
Interior. Entrance hall is square with panelled doors within shouldered
architraves leading left and right into principal rooms. Marble fireplace
has acanthus leaf ovolo freize augmented by egg and dart motifs. Ahead a round
arch leads into rear range and staircase. Moulded plaster cornice with
dentilation, egg and dart and guilloche patterning. Room to west with large
framed panelling. Plaster cornice with billet and egg and dart mouldings.
Door architraves shouldered as before. C19 stick baluster staircase with C18
panelled dado. Ramped and wreathed handrail. Stairwell ceiling is plastered.
Rear west room has marble fireplace below a frieze carrying high relief timber
vegetative swag reputedly by Gibbons but more like Ivory. Restrained shouldered
overmantel with egg and dart and guilloche mouldings. To sides and top Rococo
arabesques gaily romp. Modillion cornice to room supported by egg and dart
frieze. Library by Edis (who lived here) is designed round set of glazed
Gothick bookcases. Tentative plaster ceiling. First floor rooms continue with
similar style : large frame panelling, shouldered and decorated doorways,
Listing NGR: TG5003814501
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings