History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6748 / 52°40'29"N

Longitude: 1.6681 / 1°40'5"E

OS Eastings: 648075

OS Northings: 314883

OS Grid: TG480148

Mapcode National: GBR YPQ.8L3

Mapcode Global: WHNVR.L1K7

Plus Code: 9F43MMF9+W7

Entry Name: Church of St. Michael

Listing Date: 25 September 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1287570

English Heritage Legacy ID: 402073

Location: Ormesby St. Michael, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR29

County: Norfolk

District: Great Yarmouth

Civil Parish: Ormesby St. Michael

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Ormesby St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Rollesby

Description

TG 41 SE
4/36

ORMESBY ST. MICHAEL
YARMOUTH ROAD (north side)
Church of St. Michael

25.9.62

II*

Parish church. C13 tower and chancel, C14 nave. Chancel restored 1787. Major restorations 1885-86. Further restorations 1973-79. Quaternary flint and chert with Lincolnshire Limestone ashlar dressings. Thatched nave and leaded chancel. Three stage unbuttressed west tower, externally of two stages. Ashlar quoins. Two-light cusped west window with rounded lights. Quatrefoil ringing chamber ventilation lights to north, south and west. These immediately below string course. Louvred belfry windows under triangular heads in reduced brick openings. Flushwork crenellated parapet. Four gargoyles. Diagonal buttresses to west end of nave. Gabled and thatched south porch dating from 1970's work. Wave and hollow chamfer inner south doorway. Two flat stepped buttresses to nave, north and south. Two two-light cusped Y tracery south windows moulded on exterior. Two two-light Perpendicular north windows. North door blocked and, over it, a C20 circular flint outbuilding. West of this the remains of brick jambs of a window. Eastern nave gable. One trefoiled lancet to north and south chancel walls. In addition south side pierced by arched priests' door and two-light C13 plate tracery window: pointed lights supporting encircled quatrefoil vesica. Diagonal east buttresses and three-light C19 Perpendicular window.

Interior. Hollow chamfered tower arch. Nave roof restored 1885-86. Moulded principals on hollow chamfered arched braces dropping into wall posts. Roll moulded wall plate below two tiers crenellations. One tier moulded butt purlins and ridge piece. Wave moulded C19 chancel arch with polygonal responds, bases and capitals. Three orders of wave mouldings in arch. Scissor braced chancel roof of C13 origins but so restored as to- qualify for date of 1885-86. Chamfered arched piscina. Plain C13 octagonal font with central shaft and eight orbiting Purbeck marble columns. Restored. Three chancel windows contain stained glass by Hanry Holiday: south 1898, north 1911-13, east 1919-20.

Listing NGR: TG4807514883

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.