History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Saviour

A Grade II* Listed Building in Westerleigh, South Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5248 / 51°31'29"N

Longitude: -2.4717 / 2°28'18"W

OS Eastings: 367372

OS Northings: 180760

OS Grid: ST673807

Mapcode National: GBR JW.H4ZJ

Mapcode Global: VH88B.3XPY

Entry Name: Church of St Saviour

Listing Date: 18 November 1981

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1288167

English Heritage Legacy ID: 400215

Location: Westerleigh, South Gloucestershire, BS36

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Westerleigh

Built-Up Area: Frampton Cotterell/Winterbourne

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Coalpit Heath

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Iron Acton

Listing Text

ST 68 SE WESTERLEIGH C.P. BADMINTON ROAD, Coalpit Heath (west
side)
1/317
18.11.81 Church of St. Saviour
G.V.
II*

Parish church. 1844-5 by William Butterfield, his first Anglican commission;
alterations to north vestry to accommodate organ chamber c. 1908. Limestone
rubble with few pieces of drissed masonry, Bath stone dressings with "Butterfieldian"
irregular quoins, slate roofs with finials to nave and chancel. West tower,
aisled nave, south porch, chancel and north vestry. Gothic, in a muscular Early
Decorated style; informal spatial relationship between Church of St. Saviour,
lychgate (q.v.) and Vicarage (q.v.). 2-stage tower has pointed arched west
window with reticulated tracery, pointed arched windows in belfry with bell
louvres and clock, hipped roof behind parapet, cockerel weathervane; weathered
and angle buttresses, string courses and quoins. 4-bay aisles each have west
window, south aisle has east window, 4 windows to north and 3 to south, all
2-light pointed arched windows with cusped trefoil heads and quatrefoil panel
above, hood moulds with mask stops; weathered buttressesand angle buttresses,
pitched roofs with raised coped verges. South porch in 2nd bay from left,
steeply gabled with raised coped verges and cross finial, small trefoil-headed
light to each side, buttresses, pointed arched hollow-chamfered door with hood
mould. 2-bay chancel has similar tall 3-light east window, 2-light north window,
to south, tall pointed arched 2-light window, buttress, pointed arched door and
smaller 2-light window; lower string course runs along cills of windows and over
head of door, continued to east and north, upper string around heads of windows,
also continuous, both interrupted by buttresses; angle buttresses. North vestry
in angle between north aisle and chancel, later extended to east, has 2-span roof,
central external stack, two 2-light windows to north, pointed segmental headed
studded door to east and similar window. Butterfield's ground plan shows only
one north window and east door. Interior: pointed tower arch has wooden screen,
formerly Butterfield's chancel screen, with trefoil-headed upper glazed section,
balusters and heavy cornice. Nave has 4-bay arcade to north and south with
pointed arches and octagonal piers; 5-bay roof with scissors trusses rising from
stone corbels, common rafters, in stained deal. North aisle has pointed arch to
east, opened later, with similar wooden screen; aisles have 7-bay roof with
principal and common rafters, one row of purlins and strut from purlin to corbel
at arcade above piers. Porch has pointed arched door with hollow-chamfered
surround, heavy studded door with fine ironwork around keyhole and plate for ring
handle; 3-bay scissors truss roof. Wide pointed chancel arch with polygonal
jamb shafts, hood mould with mask stops, wooden screen designed by Harold Brakspear
c. 1930; former pulpit door to left of chancel arch, blocked when vestry was
extended and organ brought in. South priest's door blocked, with chamfered
pointed segmental head; trefoil headed piscina and sedilia to south, credance
shelf to north, pointed arched door to vestry. Vestry has fireplace with pointed
segmental head. Interior is entirely axial, apart from the placing of the pulpit
and north vestry door; chancel arch kept lower than the arcades, so that from the
west end its apex seems to meet that of the east window. Fittings; stone pulpit
in nave, to left of chancel arch, an octagon rising from a square base, its thick
neck almost buried by the encroaching volumes, traceried panels; octagonal stone
font in nave; pews in nave and aisles, designed by Butterfield, with poppy head
bench ends. Brass chandelier in chancel; early C20 wooden reredos panelling.
Stained glass in south aisle east window, dedicated to Annie Hewitt, 1915,
daughter of William Hewitt one of the first church wardens, 1846-8. (Sources:
Verey, D. : Buildings of England Gloucestershire : The Vale and The Forest of
Dean. 1970. Thompson, P. : William Butterfield. 1971. Incorporated Church
Building Society ; file 3434. Drawings : RIBA. Hitchcock, H.R. : Early
Victorian Architecture in Britain, vol. 1. 1954. The Builder, 1845.
Ecclesiologist, 3, 1844).


Listing NGR: ST6737280760

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.