This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5246 / 51°31'28"N
Longitude: -2.4712 / 2°28'16"W
OS Eastings: 367402
OS Northings: 180736
OS Grid: ST674807
Mapcode National: GBR JW.H536
Mapcode Global: VH88B.3YX4
Entry Name: Lychgate and Attached Walls About 30 Metres East of Church of St Saviour
Listing Date: 18 November 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1288247
English Heritage Legacy ID: 400216
Location: Westerleigh, South Gloucestershire, BS36
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Westerleigh
Built-Up Area: Frampton Cotterell/Winterbourne
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Coalpit Heath
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST 68 SE WESTERLEIGH C.P. BADMINTON ROAD, Coalpit Heath (west
18.11.81 Lychgate and attached walls about
G.V. 30 metres east of Church of St.
Lychgate and attached walls. 1844-5, by William Butterfield, part of his first
Anglican commission. Coursed limestone rubble with freestone dressings, hipped
stone roof. Wide pointed coffin arch with similar smaller pedestrian arch to
left, low buttress between 2 arches; battered side walls. Original wooden gates
with open arcaded upper section. The lychgate rises from low walls enclosing the
churchyard to north and east, north range about 60 metres long, east range about
120 metres long; walls about ½ metre high in coursed rubble with moulded
limestone copings, buttresses at regular intervals. Henry Russell Hitchcock:
"Only the stone lychgate, with its simple forms and curious juxtaposition of
angles, suggests the pungent sort of originality Butterfield's finest work was to
display later". (Sources: Verey, D. : Buildings of England Gloucestershire :
The Vale and The Forest of Dean. 1970. Thompson, P. : William Butterfield.
1971. Hitchcock, H.R.: Early Victorian Architecture in Britain, vol. 1, 1954).
Listing NGR: ST6740280736
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings