History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Droitwich, Worcestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2922 / 52°17'31"N

Longitude: -2.2065 / 2°12'23"W

OS Eastings: 386013

OS Northings: 266029

OS Grid: SO860660

Mapcode National: GBR 1F0.6Z0

Mapcode Global: VH927.PNW4

Plus Code: 9C4V7QRV+VC

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 14 March 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1288258

English Heritage Legacy ID: 400153

Location: Doverdale, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR9

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon

Civil Parish: Doverdale

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Doverdale

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Doverdale

Listing Text

DOVERDALE CP DOVERDALE
SO 86 NE
5/27 Church of St Mary
14.3.69
- II

Parish church. Probably C14, remodelled C17, restored 1860 by F Preedy.
Ashlar, tile roof with stone coped verges, leaded spirelet. Nave with
bellcote and spirelet to west end, chancel. Nave: stepped buttresses,
chamfered plinth; south vestry centrally placed rebuilt 1860 (formerly
the porch), to right a square-headed 3-light window with cavetto mullions,
to left a single-light window with chamfered surround, both C17; north
wall: windows reflect south wall, with a centrally placed, blocked, north
door: the semi-circular head is constructed from voussoirs with filleted
roll moulding, apparently once forming a 2-centred head. West door of
1860 in slightly projecting surround under triangular head, 2-centred
arch to door. Spirelet above built 1860 in place of small bellcote.
The 1860 bellcote is timber-framed, two by two square panels with pierced
wood infill to the panels; a triangular vent to each side of the spirelet;
decorative chevron ribs to leaded spire. Chancel: mostly rebuilt 1860,
chamfered plinth with drip moulding, diagonal buttresses; two bays:
south wall has two trefoil-headed lancets, east window of three trefoil-
headed lights under 2-centred head. Interior: chancel arch of 1860,
2-centred moulded with engaged shafts to responds. Roofs: four-bay arch
braced collar roof to nave, with a fifth bay occupied by the four main
posts supporting the bellcote and spirelet; chancel: three-bay boarded
barrel vault. Fittings: mostly of 1860, wall of nave has C17 panelling
to dado height with frieze, part fluted, part intersecting lunettes.
Earthworks of a deserted medieval village to west of church. (BoE p 133;
VCH 3, p 71).


Listing NGR: SO8601366029

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.