History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II Listed Building in Broadway, Worcestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0343 / 52°2'3"N

Longitude: -1.8632 / 1°51'47"W

OS Eastings: 409482

OS Northings: 237335

OS Grid: SP094373

Mapcode National: GBR 3M6.HR7

Mapcode Global: VHB17.N4C9

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 30 July 1959

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1288569

English Heritage Legacy ID: 399019

Location: Broadway, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR12

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon

Civil Parish: Broadway

Built-Up Area: Broadway

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Broadway

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Broadway

Listing Text

SP 0937 BROADWAY CP CHURCH STREET (east side)
8/13 Church of St Michael
30.7.59
GV II
Church. 1839, by H Eginton, restored 1890. Limestone ashlar with tile
roof. Comprises a west tower, nave with clerestorey, north and south
aisles under pitched roofs, lower chancel, and north and south porches at
east ends of aisles. The tower is of four stages divided by string courses
and has angle buttresses and a solid parapet. The corner pinnacles have
niches. The bell openings are each of two pointed lights with angle shafts.
The west wall has a lancet window within a blind arcade of three pointed
arches. Above is a clock. The west doorway is moulded and pointed with
angle shafts and has a gabled hood with poppyhead. The west windows of the
aisles are of two pointed lights under pointed heads with quatrefoils. The
aisles are of five bays separated by buttresses and have lancet windows. The
porches have angle buttresses, moulded pointed doorways, and small triple
stepped lancets under their gables. The chancel is of two bays and has
pointed windows with angle shafts. The east window has triple stepped lancets
with angle shafts. The north-east buttress is inscribed: "1839". Interior:
tower contains stair with stick balusters leading to west gallery. Five-
bay arcades of pointed arches chamfered in two orders spring from round
piers each with four engaged shafts. Plastered quadripartite vaults, probably
added in 1890, spring from wall shafts. The west gallery contains an organ.
The chancel arch is pointed and chamfered in two orders. The timber chancel
screen is a memorial to the dead of the First World War. The chancel has
carved timber choir stalls and a stone reredos. Windows contain early and
mid-C20 glass. The timber pulpit, although restored, appears to be of c1600,
and has carved decoration and a sounding board.


Listing NGR: SP0948237335

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.