History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Centenary Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0498 / 54°2'59"N

Longitude: -2.7984 / 2°47'54"W

OS Eastings: 347821

OS Northings: 461830

OS Grid: SD478618

Mapcode National: GBR 8PWM.Y0

Mapcode Global: WH846.ZGLQ

Entry Name: Centenary Church

Listing Date: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1288711

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383317

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Bulk

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761NE ST LEONARD'S GATE
1685-1/7/283 (North side)
Centenary Church

GV II

Former Congregational church, now vacant. 1879-81. By JC
Hetherington and GD Oliver of Carlisle in a free Early English
style. Rock-faced and coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings,
and slate roofs with coped gables and red clay ridge tiles.
6-bay nave with high galleried aisles under a single roof, and
a south-west tower with a spire on the corner of Rosemary
Lane.
The gabled entrance front on St Leonardgate has 3 wide lancet
windows under gabled and crocketed hoodmoulds, above which is
a rose window of plate tracery, a cinquefoil surrounded by 8
circles, also under a crocketed hoodmould. To the left and
right are round-headed entrance doorways, of 2 orders with
shafts; the boarded doors have elaborate wrought-iron hinges.
Above the left-hand doorway is the tower. Above the right-hand
doorway the gallery windows are a triplet of stepped lancets
under a transept-like roof.
The side facade to Rosemary Lane has 2 storeys and 5 bays,
arranged symmetrically. In both storeys each bay has a pair of
round-headed lancets under linked hoodmoulds, but on the upper
storey in the second and fourth bays these lancets are topped
by a circular window and placed under a gable.
The tower is square and has 3 stages; its rock-faced stone
faces have a pair of lancet windows in each stage and are
slightly recessed between ashlar pilaster strips which carry a
corbelled parapet with octagonal corner turrets with
spirelets. The upper stage contains both the ringers' chamber
and the belfry, and its paired lancets are glazed below and
provided with louvres at the top; above them are 3 circular
openings under semi-octagonal hoodmoulds. The tower carries an
octagonal broach spire with, low down, 8 linked lucarnes, each
with a circular opening under a gabled hoodmould and towards
the top, gablets on the cardinal faces above a narrow band of
two tiers of semicircles.
HISTORY: built to celebrate the centenary of the Independent
Chapel (now Trinity United Reformed Church) on High Street
(qv).


Listing NGR: SD4782161830

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.