History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

4-6, Hillside

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0505 / 54°3'1"N

Longitude: -2.807 / 2°48'25"W

OS Eastings: 347260

OS Northings: 461911

OS Grid: SD472619

Mapcode National: GBR 8PVL.2S

Mapcode Global: WH846.VGH6

Entry Name: 4-6, Hillside

Listing Date: 18 February 1970

Last Amended: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1290264

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383169

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761NW HILLSIDE
1685-1/6/135 Nos.4, 5 AND 6
18/02/70
(Formerly Listed as:
HILLSIDE
No.4)
(Formerly Listed as:
HILLSIDE
No.5)
(Formerly Listed as:
HILLSIDE
No.6)

GV II

Row of 3 houses. Early C19 with mid C19 alterations. Squared
coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings. Slate roof with
overhanging eaves, one ridge and 2 gable stacks.
3 storeys above cellars. The windows are mostly glazing bar
sashes in plain stone surrounds. No.4, at the left, is of 3
bays, the 3rd bay being occupied by a 2-storey timber canted
bay window on a stone base, with timber casements with glazing
bars, and timber mullions. Between the storeys are blind
mullioned and transomed panels. The doorway, in the central
bay, has a timber porch with a leaded canopy on brackets.
No.5 has one bay to the left of the door which has a sashed
window on the ground floor. The bay to the right has a pair of
glazing bar sashes on the ground floor in a stone surround
with a central flat-faced mullion: the right-hand window of
the pair appears to belong to No.6. The door has a shallow
timber porch over a plain stone surround.
No.6 is of 2 bays with a doorway in the left-hand bay. The
right-hand bay has a window lighting the second floor, above a
2-storey canted timber bay window which is similar to that of
No.4 except that the casement windows do not have glazing
bars. The doorway has a shallow timber porch over a plain
stone surround.
HISTORY: at least 2 straight joints in the front wall suggest
that the houses are not of the same build, although the
stonework is similar in character. The bay windows are not
shown on the 5 feet to 1 mile OS map surveyed in 1845.


Listing NGR: SD4725861912

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.