History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former National School

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0473 / 54°2'50"N

Longitude: -2.8032 / 2°48'11"W

OS Eastings: 347506

OS Northings: 461561

OS Grid: SD475615

Mapcode National: GBR 8PVM.XW

Mapcode Global: WH846.XJ9L

Entry Name: Former National School

Listing Date: 18 February 1970

Last Amended: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1290274

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383164

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761NE HIGH STREET
1685-1/7/130 (West side)
18/02/70 Former National School
(Formerly Listed as:
HIGH STREET
Premises occupied by Perkodd
Supplies Ltd (corner of Cawthorne
Street))

GV II

National school for girls, now house and warehouse. 1820,
altered C20. Sandstone ashlar, which is smooth-faced on the
facade to High Street and horizontally broached with
chisel-drafted margins on side elevation. Slate roof.
2 low storeys with 3 bays under a pedimented gable to High
Street and 8 bays to the side (north) elevation. Ground floor,
restored 1993 with central doorway and flanking 12-pane
windows. First floor with 3 low rectangular glazing bar
sashes, within plain reveals and with projecting sills. Above
a shallow string course, and in pediment, the inscription
'NATIONAL SCHOOL for GIRLS'. Above is a plaque reading: 'Built
by Public Subscription A.D. 1820 to establish Order, check
Vice and uphold Virtue.'
The right-hand return wall, facing Cawthorne Street and
running down a slope, is of 8 bays and has vertical
rectangular windows; the 2 left-hand windows are blind and
painted to resemble 30-pane windows with glazing bars, and the
third window is glazed with 30 panes, but the remainder were
altered c1987. To centre of facade at a lower level is a
doorway with stone surround and plain pediment, set between 2
blocked windows.


Listing NGR: SD4750661561

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.