History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Att House

A Grade II Listed Building in Little Hadham, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8771 / 51°52'37"N

Longitude: 0.1136 / 0°6'48"E

OS Eastings: 545586

OS Northings: 221942

OS Grid: TL455219

Mapcode National: GBR LCB.CHT

Mapcode Global: VHHLT.X2DW

Entry Name: Att House

Listing Date: 30 April 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1290334

English Heritage Legacy ID: 395332

Location: Little Hadham, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG11

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Little Hadham

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Little Hadham

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Bishops Stortford

Listing Text

TL 4521 LITTLE HADHAM GREEN STREET
(north side)

12/4 Att House

-

GV II

House. Probably C17 in origin (RCHM Typescript), but rebuilt in
brick c.1700. Small SE and N tiled, lower, extensions c.1961. 2
storeys and attics square brick house with higher main range on W
with tumbled brickwork to gable parapets and twin rear wings with
plastered gables. Steep gabled old red tiled roofs. Red brick in
Flemish bond with black headers. Chamfered plinth all round with
giant order brick pilasters next to corners on each face and two
more on front (W) and rear walls, flanking narrow central bay.
Pilasters have moulded brick bases and caps but those on front
have fine red brick moulded caps. 3-window symmetrical front has
projecting floor-band and 3-light wooden casement windows on 1st
floor. Jambs for wider similar windows on Ground floor marked by
straight joints. Present 3-light casement windows C19
replacements. 6-panel door and flat hood renewed. External
gable chimneys with offsets with chamfered plinth carried round
bases. Interior has beam grooved for partition, probably
separating buttery and pantry from earlier house, possibly in
situ, in SE rear wing. Entrance straight into larger front (N)
room with wide linteled brick fireplaces, off-centre (? re-used)
C17 chamfered and stopped axial beam and exposed re-used joists.
Front parlour had chamfered cross beam, moulded early C18 plaster
cornice and 2-panel door with brass case lock. Brick fireplace
has curved rear corners, same as other fireplaces in front range.
Handsome early C18 dog-leg staircase with moulded string and
handrail, barley sugar twisted balusters curved at base, and
square newels with applied carved panels of flowers and ribbons
on each face. Walls and upper part of staircase has moulded,
raised and fielded panelling, mostly in plaster, with dentilled
and modillioned cornice. 1st floor has 2-panel doors and HL
hinges generally. Said to have formerly had front dormers for
attics, but ceilings now raised to collar level throughout front
range. Arched brick fireplaces to front rooms. Stair to NE rear
attic flanked by timberframed wall dividing front range from rear
wings.


Listing NGR: TL4558621942

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.