This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5097 / 51°30'35"N
Longitude: -0.1402 / 0°8'24"W
OS Eastings: 529163
OS Northings: 180619
OS Grid: TQ291806
Mapcode National: GBR DD.PZ
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.J98Z
Entry Name: Royal Academy of Arts
Listing Date: 9 January 1970
Last Amended: 1 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1291018
English Heritage Legacy ID: 208940
Location: Westminster, London, W1S
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: West End
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James Piccadilly
Church of England Diocese: London
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/03/2018
TQ 2980 NW; 70/33
CITY OF WESTMINSTER,
BURLINGTON GARDENS W1,
No. 6, The Royal Academy of Arts
(Formerly listed as: Ethnography Department of the British Museum; Previously listed as Civil Service Commission)
Built as the headquarters of the University of London, museum when surveyed.
1866-69 by Sir James Pennethorne. Portland stone and pink sandstone;
slate roof. Boldly modelled free Renaissance classicism, richly carved
and endowed with free standing statues sculpted by J. Durham, P.
MacDowell, W. Theed, E. W. Wyon, J. S. Westmacott, W. F. Woodington and
M. Noble. Two tall storeys and basement. Main centre block of seven bays
with flanking square pavilion-towers, 3-bay wings and flanking archways.
The centrepiece has a projecting colonnaded portico approached by
balustrated steps at sides. Arcaded upper storey with giant order
of Corinthian columns between the pavilion-towers which have square
attics bearing clock face and weathervane dial. The wings have statues
in niches to ground storey and 3-light windows above articulated by
Corinthian columns. Enriched cornices and balustraded parapets. The
portico surmounted by seated scientific worthies and standing figures
of same on the balustraded roof parapet. Carriage archways to east
and west, the former partly blind. Returns of red and black brick
and sandstone. Although altered the interior retains grand clerestory-
lit central stairwell, hall and landing each being screened from well
by three large arches. The stairs rise one flight and then divide.
Ornate plasterwork to 1st-floor ceilings etc.
Survey of London; vol XXXII
Listing NGR: TQ2916380619
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings