History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Uxbridge House

A Grade II* Listed Building in City of Westminster, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5103 / 51°30'36"N

Longitude: -0.1401 / 0°8'24"W

OS Eastings: 529163

OS Northings: 180675

OS Grid: TQ291806

Mapcode National: GBR DD.PS

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.J98L

Entry Name: Uxbridge House

Listing Date: 24 February 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1357241

English Heritage Legacy ID: 208941

Location: Westminster, London, W1S

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: West End

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St James Piccadilly

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

24.2.58 No 7 (Uxbridge House)
including No 1 OLD

Town Mansion. 1721-23. Built as Queensbury House by Giacomo
Leoni for Lord Clifton; finished for the Duke of Queensbury, enlarged
and altered for Lord Uxbridge by the younger John Vardy and Joseph
Bonomi 1785-89 and with alterations by Philip Hardwick on conversion
to bank in 1855. Front elevation of brick faced with Portland stone;
slate roof. A significant early Palladian design sensitively
enlarged and adapted by Vardy. 3 storeys and basement. 10 windows
wide. Rusticated arcading to ground floor, framing windows, and
central Roman Doric coupled column portico added by Hardwick for
bank. Recessed glazing bar sashes. The upper floors are articulated
by a giant order of Composite pilasters rising from pedestals to
entablature and balustraded parapet. The tall 1st floor windows
have architraves all, apart from outermost bays, with cornices, and
give onto geometric cast iron balony carried out over portico. Cast
iron area railings with "baluster" panelled standards and lampholders.
The 8 bay return of brick to Old Burlington Street is probably
largely Leoni's though heightened and has Vardy's Roman Doric porch.
Stone plat and sill bands to 1st floor and stone cornice over 2nd
floor. 4 bay plain Vardy return in brick to Savile Row extended by
stone faced 1 storey and basement banking hall extension of 4 bays
by P. C. Hardwick c. 1876; architraved and pedimented windows,
entablature and balustraded parapet. The interior, although eastern
half was altered for bank with ornately classical top lit large
banking hall to rear, retains the basic elements of Leoni's house to
west, in particular the stone staircase with wrought iron rail, together
with the Vardy-Bonomi alterations including the coffered with
plasterwork by Joseph Rose over the stairs with panelled niches
to walls and Rose's plasterwork to the Committee Room ceiling etc

Survey of London; vol XXXII

Listing NGR: TQ2916380675

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.