This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4609 / 50°27'39"N
Longitude: -3.5266 / 3°31'35"W
OS Eastings: 291736
OS Northings: 63453
OS Grid: SX917634
Mapcode National: GBR QV.XKHG
Mapcode Global: FRA 37HV.3WG
Plus Code: 9C2RFF6F+99
Entry Name: Torquay Pavilion
Listing Date: 13 March 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1291553
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390879
Location: Tormohun, Torbay, TQ2
Electoral Ward/Division: Tormohun
Built-Up Area: Torquay
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX9063 VAUGHAN ROAD
885-1/17/275 (South side)
13/03/73 Torquay Pavilion
Pavilion. 1911 by HA Garrett, Borough Surveyor, based on 1897
designs by Edward Richards, architect to the Haldon estate;
contractor RE Narracott of Stoke Gabriel. Conversion to
shopping precinct 1986-7. Built on reclaimed land on a
concrete raft reinforced with expanded steel frame with brick
infill, clad externally with Doulton's patent carrera-ware
with a cream and green glazed finish; copper roof; fine Art
PLAN: On a north/south axis. Nave with barrel roof and
clerestory windows, top-lit by a central dome. Flat-roofed
flanking aisles and end blocks for roof promenades incorporate
octagonal corner turrets with railings and domed roofs on
cast-iron columns; central bow on west side overlooking
Princess Gardens. Interior originally comprised hall with a
stage, orchestra pit and balcony; tea garden on roof.
EXTERIOR: Nave with pedimented, gabled ends with large
Diocletian windows onto ashphalted roof terraces with
balustrades; cast-iron steps with floral balustrades on east
and west sides. Corner turrets with pretty railings and
bell-shaped copper domes on cast-iron columns.
North end entrance block with terrace over, flanked by turrets
with pointed copper domes crowned with statues of Mercury.
Statue of Britannia on nave dome. Segmental-headed doorway
with glazed canopy on cast-iron brackets. Sides articulated
with pilasters; round-headed windows, some arranged in pairs
and triplets with Art Nouveau glass. East side repaired in the
1980s conversion following demolition of adjoining theatre.
INTERIOR: Original plasterwork to barrel vault, arranged in
panels. Borough arms over east entrance flanked by good
figures of health and happiness. 1980s stair to mezzanine.
An exuberant seaside building with an interesting construction
and exceptional ironwork.
(Ellis CA: An Historical Survey of Torquay, 2nd edition:
1930-: P.382-386; Buildings of England: Cherry B: Devon:
London: 1952-1989: P.854).
Listing NGR: SX9173663453
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings