History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St John's Preparatory School and Attached Garden Wall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lichfield, Staffordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6809 / 52°40'51"N

Longitude: -1.8282 / 1°49'41"W

OS Eastings: 411713

OS Northings: 309260

OS Grid: SK117092

Mapcode National: GBR 4DN.SQP

Mapcode Global: WHCGN.WWM3

Entry Name: St John's Preparatory School and Attached Garden Wall

Listing Date: 5 February 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1292101

English Heritage Legacy ID: 382724

Location: Lichfield, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield

Civil Parish: Lichfield

Built-Up Area: Lichfield

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Lichfield Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Lichfield

Listing Text


LICHFIELD

SK1109SE ST JOHN STREET
1094-1/8/160 (South West side)
05/02/52 No.28
St John's Preparatory School and
attached garden wall

GV II*

House, now school. Mid to late C18 with refronting c1820.
Stuccoed brick with ashlar dressings; parapeted roof, part at
least tile.
Double-depth plan with lower side wing and rear wing. Greek
revival style.
2 storeys; 4-window range forming symmetrical composition with
extra window to left end, which breaks back, and lower
projecting wing with hipped roof. Top cornice and panelled
parapet with cornice and blocking course.
Entrance has eared architrave and overlight with margin lights
to 4-panel door, nowy-headed lock plate has inverted-T slot.
Windows to ground floor have architraves, aprons with incised
lines, and 4:8:4-pane tripartite sashes with margin lights;
windows to 1st floor have architraves, friezes and pediments
to 12-pane sashes; 2nd floor has windows with sills and 6-pane
sashes. 4-bay colonnade to ground floor has columns modelled
on those of the Tower of the Winds, Athens, 3 pairs and single
to ends, frieze with wreaths over columns and cornice with
blocking course. Wing has 1st floor sill band and 2-light
small-paned casement; stucco gate piers with caps and paired
plank doors.
Rear has single-storey service range with segmental-headed
windows and entrance and windows, one with 4-light transomed
pegged casement; to left a shallow full-height wing with
canted bay window, to right a large 12-light wooden-mullioned
window in big blocked round-headed opening with glazed
lean-to.
INTERIOR: windows have shutters; hall has encaustic tiles and
cornice; room to left has rich cornice and ceiling rose, black
fireplace with Tuscan columns and C19 cast iron grate with
coloured tiles; room to right has cornice; open-well stair to
rear left has cut string, turned balusters, a cluster of 4 to
foot, moulded nosing to treads; landing has door with
egg-and-dart moulding to panels.
C18 garden wall extends to rear from right return.


Listing NGR: SK1171309260

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.