This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.1143 / 54°6'51"N
Longitude: -3.236 / 3°14'9"W
OS Eastings: 319297
OS Northings: 469420
OS Grid: SD192694
Mapcode National: GBR 5NVV.6W
Mapcode Global: WH72H.8V88
Plus Code: 9C6R4Q77+PH
Entry Name: Statue of Lord Frederick Cavendish at Junction with North Road
Listing Date: 6 May 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1292108
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388479
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14
Electoral Ward/Division: Hindpool
Built-Up Area: Barrow-in-Furness
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Barrow-in-Furness St James
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD16NE HINDPOOL ROAD
708-1/5/74 Statue of Lord Frederick Cavendish
06/05/76 at junction with North Road
Statue on plinth. Unveiled 30.6.1885. Sculptor: Albert Bruce
Joy. Granite pedestal to bronze statue. 3-step plinth to
square pedestal with Shakespearian inscription on the die.
Figure of Lord Cavendish wearing an Inverness cape, his right
foot forward and his left hand on his hip. Lord Cavendish, 2nd
son of the 7th Duke of Devonshire, was Irish Secretary when
assassinated at Phoenix Park, Dublin in 1882. The statue
unveiled by his brother Lord Spencer. Originally situated
opposite the Town Hall (qv).
(The Barrow in Furness Almanack and Tide Tables: Barrow in
Furness: 1886-: 64; Trescatheric B: Barrow in Furness in Old
Picture Postcards: Netherlands: PL 1).
Listing NGR: SD1929769420
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings