This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.1145 / 54°6'52"N
Longitude: -3.2314 / 3°13'53"W
OS Eastings: 319600
OS Northings: 469439
OS Grid: SD196694
Mapcode National: GBR 5NWV.6T
Mapcode Global: WH72H.BVG3
Plus Code: 9C6R4Q79+RC
Entry Name: Public Library, Museum and Forecourt Wall and Railings Facing Ramsden Square
Listing Date: 6 May 1976
Last Amended: 20 December 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197858
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388462
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14
Electoral Ward/Division: Hindpool
Built-Up Area: Barrow-in-Furness
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Barrow-in-Furness St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD1969SE DUKE STREET
708-1/12/63 (North East side)
06/05/76 Public Library, Museum and forecourt
wall and railings facing Ramsden
(Formerly Listed as:
(North East side)
Public Library and Museum in Ramsden
Public library and attached forecourt wall with railings.
1915-22. By JA Charles. Ashlar sandstone facade, graduated
slate and glazed roofs. 2 storeys, 4:3:4 bays in an open
V-plan; centre with projecting portico. Symmetrical, in
Beaux-Arts Classical style.
Plinth; channel-rustication to ends and centre; altered
fenestration. Central portico has giant Ionic columns in
central recess; double door with bayleaf hoodmould beneath
plaque with guttae and date 'ANNO DNI MCMXV'; margin-glazed
stair window above has shouldered surround with bayleaf-fasces
pendants. Frieze inscribed 'PUBLIC LIBRARY'; modillioned
cornice with Greek key ornament. Solid parapet with panels and
tasselled roundels. Blocking course with shallow triangular
head flanked by gadrooned vases with Greek-key rims and
Each rusticated bay has tall window beneath square window,
raised surrounds with plain lintel panels. Bays 2-4 and 8-10
are slightly recessed and have ground floor windows in raised
panels and rectangular windows in the parapet. Modillioned
cornice continues from portico beneath parapet with tasselled
roundels over the rusticated bays. Wings have hipped mansard
roofs, the ridge sections glazed.
INTERIOR: black and white mosaic floor to the entrance hall;
curved staircase with cast-iron panels, oak handrail and
bollard newels. In each wing the ground-floor ceilings have
cross-beams on pilasters; Greek key and bayleaf motifs.
Centre-block ceiling is lower and has guilloche on the beams.
1st floor: lecture room (now museum) and reading room have
similar motifs together with cartouches and urns; arched
ceilings with bayleaf ribs.
Forecourt wall: gate piers opposite main entrance have iron
gates and incomplete lamp standards; dwarf walls with
intermediate piers linked by cross-braced railing panels in
groups of 3. Opened 1922 after a lapse in building during the
Great War. Lecture room converted to museum c1930. Original
fenestration shown in early photograph (Trescatheric).
(Trescatheric B: Barrow in Furness in Old Picture Postcards:
Netherlands: 1982-: PL 77).
Listing NGR: SD1960069439
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings