This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.767 / 53°46'1"N
Longitude: -2.6994 / 2°41'57"W
OS Eastings: 353996
OS Northings: 430298
OS Grid: SD539302
Mapcode National: GBR T9Y.DZ
Mapcode Global: WH85M.HLT0
Entry Name: Thorn Emi Works
Listing Date: 20 December 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1292131
English Heritage Legacy ID: 392050
Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1
Electoral Ward/Division: St George's
Built-Up Area: Preston
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
KENT STREET (West side)
Thorn EMI Works
Formerly known as: Hanover Street Mills KENT STREET.
Cotton spinning mill, now electric lamp factory. c.1825, subsequently enlarged, altered and reduced. Red brick in English garden wall bond, with sandstone dressings, roofs mostly slate but some now with corrugated sheet. Two blocks on north-south axis, the north 3-storeys and 14 windows, the south 4 storeys and 11 windows, linked at the corners and with a single-storey block on the east side of the north block. All the windows are vertical-rectangular with raised sills and wedge lintels, those of the north range and its single-storey front block larger, all with altered glazing (and the right-hand end windows and top corner of the north block rebuilt in C20 brick). The south end wall of the south block has 3 gables; the rear has a square turret; the rear of the north block has a modern addition.
INTERIOR: the partition wall between the storeyed north block and its side range is carried on a very unusual colonnade of 13 cast-iron fluted Doric columns; otherwise the structure consists of 4 rows of simple cast-iron columns with trumpet-shaped caps carrying timber beams, but the roof has been reconstructed after fire damage, and now has a double row of columns in the centre (and at the north end charred fishbone-strut trusses); staircase at south-west corner mounting round flue of former chimney stack, and with original 63-pane stair window. The south block has former open-arcading at ground floor of west side; upper floors now partitioned, but attic has double row of slender cast-iron columns with linking iron saddles carrying timber beams and king-post roof trusses.
First built by Francis Sleddon, bankrupt 1844, bought by Birley Brothers, damaged by fire 1873.
Listing NGR: SD5399630298
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings