History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Unity Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Torquay, Torbay

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4623 / 50°27'44"N

Longitude: -3.5231 / 3°31'23"W

OS Eastings: 291990

OS Northings: 63600

OS Grid: SX919636

Mapcode National: GBR QX.36FW

Mapcode Global: FRA 37HT.Z4K

Plus Code: 9C2RFF6G+WQ

Entry Name: Unity Church

Listing Date: 3 May 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1292190

English Heritage Legacy ID: 390719

Location: Torbay, TQ1

County: Torbay

Electoral Ward/Division: Wellswood

Built-Up Area: Torquay

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Torquay St John

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Torquay

Listing Text


TORQUAY

SX9163 MONTPELLIER ROAD
885-1/18/190 (North side)
Unity Church

GV II

Unitarian church. 1912 to the designs of Bridgman and
Bridgman. Snecked local grey limestone with freestone
dressings; slate roofs.
PLAN: Built in two sections with an entrance to the southern
section below a tower with belfry. Passageway entrance with
chapel to right (south). Northern section entered from an
adjacent entrance. Free Gothic style.
EXTERIOR: Single storey with 2-stage tower. 3:4:1-window
front. Southern block (to the right) buttressed with
segmental-headed 3-light windows with trefoil-headed lights.
Segmental-headed doorway to lower stage of tower with recessed
2-leaf boarded door with ornamental strap hinges. Doorway
flanked by buttresses which extend up the tower and terminate
in freestone pinnacles.
Tower has an openwork parapet; central pilaster strip and 2
segmental-headed louvred belfry openings.
The left-hand block is similar to the right-hand block with
similar buttresses and 3-light windows with cusped lights and
square heads. Gabled porch block to right with a coped gable
with kneelers. Moulded doorway with Tudor-arched head and a
2-leaf boarded door with strap hinges below a fanlight.
INTERIOR: 4 collar rafter roof trusses. N end has preacher's
gallery fronted with shafts in an Early English style.
Described in Pevsner as a "diminutive limestone cathedral for
liberal Christianity"
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London:
1952-1989: P.852).


Listing NGR: SX9199063600

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.