History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hermitage Castle and Attached Retaining Wall Adjoining to South

A Grade II Listed Building in Dartmouth, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3584 / 50°21'30"N

Longitude: -3.5959 / 3°35'45"W

OS Eastings: 286577

OS Northings: 52155

OS Grid: SX865521

Mapcode National: GBR QR.JZRY

Mapcode Global: FRA 38C3.0XT

Entry Name: Hermitage Castle and Attached Retaining Wall Adjoining to South

Listing Date: 8 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1292377

English Heritage Legacy ID: 387317

Location: Dartmouth, South Hams, Devon, TQ6

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: Dartmouth

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Dartmouth Townstal

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Dartmouth

Listing Text


DARTMOUTH

SX85SE OLD MILL CREEK
673-1/2/1 Hermitage Castle and attached
08/11/88 retaining wall adjoining to south

II

Folly tower, possibly a rebuild of an earlier building of
uncertain purpose. 1790 or 1890, according to fragmentary
inscription, but lowest level probably earlier. Mainly local
limestone rubble although lowest level of coursed stone with
ashlar lining internally; no floors, roof or chimneyshafts
remaining.
PLAN: Circular tower approximately 4.5 metres in diameter and
13 metres high with stone stair tower on south-east side
giving an overall ovoid plan.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys when floored, with middle 2 floors heated.
Northern doorway has segmental head, an external splay with
rusty iron spigots. Directly above large window embrasures,
also with segmental heads, to the main rooms. To left are
smaller windows with pointed-arch heads and remains of simple
hoodmoulds. Lower one is blind (backing onto the fireplace)
and surviving right label stop inscribed "90", presumably from
a date. At the top level, on the south-west side, the remains
of a doorway onto an artificial terrace on top of the cliff -
a Tudor arch, but large hole of collapsed masonry on left
side. Stair on south-east side has tiny windows. Top of the
walls have collapsed.
INTERIOR: Recessed alcove with roughly parabolic-arch head and
very low segmental arch to the stone stairs. First-floor level
has 4 segment-headed arches, one to stairs and others to
alcoves, and remains of a fireplace. Second floor similar with
one alcove and fireplace under a brick segmental arch. Stone
newel stair runs clear from top to bottom, and remains show it
rising to the roof or wall walk.


Listing NGR: SX8657752155

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.