This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.492 / 51°29'31"N
Longitude: -0.262 / 0°15'43"W
OS Eastings: 520753
OS Northings: 178440
OS Grid: TQ207784
Mapcode National: GBR 8S.QMD
Mapcode Global: VHGQX.DRTL
Entry Name: Voysey House
Listing Date: 21 May 1973
Last Amended: 29 October 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1294655
English Heritage Legacy ID: 202394
Location: Hounslow, London, W4
Electoral Ward/Division: Turnham Green
Built-Up Area: Hounslow
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Christ Church Turnham Green
Church of England Diocese: London
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/10/2012
BARLEY MOW PASSAGE, W4
Voysey House (Formerly listed as Warehouse)
Sanderson's wallpaper factory, building now offices. 1902, by C F A Voysey for
Messrs Sanderson; alterations 1968 and 1987. Glazed white brick in English bond
with Staffordshire blue brick now painted black to plinth, bands and opening
surrounds; Portland stone dressings; late C20 felted roof. 4-storeys with 1987
roof-top flat; 4½ x 2 bays, the eastern bay containing stairs, lift and toilets.
Original small-pane steel-framed windows to east side, otherwise replacement
early-mid C20 metal casement windows; windows segmental-arched with dripmoulds and
on all but east side occupying full width of bay; circular windows to 3rd floor.
Bays defined by giant butresses, within which are air vents, smaller on 3rd floor
and rising above parapet. Stone cornice to 2nd floor and to shaped parapet. South,
entrance, elevation has round-arched entrance to bay 4 with recessed replacement
doors; left-hand ground-floor window now entrance; metal quadrant caps in buttress
angles; east bay blind apart from 3rd-floor window which replaces entrance to former
bridge, spanning road, across to Sanderson's main factory building. North
elevation: east bay has narrower round-arched windows, the 3rd floor blind; ground
floor windows of 2 right bays blocked, with one inserted door. West end: ground
floor windows altered, that on right blocked and with 1987 round-arched fire-escape
door; that on left now entrance. East end: left bay has round-arched doorway and
various windows, some flat. Arched; 1968 windows to 3rd floor. Interior: cast-iron
columns, reducing in diameter on successive floors, support steel joists and
corrugated-iron-shuttered arched concrete floors. Stair rises around lift shaft.
Roof originally was double pitched with glazed north sides; north parapet lined with
glazed white brick to reflect light down through roof. An important Arts and Crafts
factory building and the only industrial building which Voysey designed. The
Buildings of England, Middlesex, N Persner (1951) p37; Edwardian Architecture, A
Service (1977) pp128, 131; Charles F A Voysey, Architect, D Gebhard (1979), p 27;
The Great Perspectivists, G Stamp (1982) p148.
Listing NGR: TQ2075378440
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings