History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Darwin's Bath at Sk 096100

A Grade II Listed Building in Burntwood, Staffordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6878 / 52°41'15"N

Longitude: -1.8587 / 1°51'31"W

OS Eastings: 409646

OS Northings: 310018

OS Grid: SK096100

Mapcode National: GBR 3C8.JVV

Mapcode Global: WHCGN.FP3V

Entry Name: Darwin's Bath at Sk 096100

Listing Date: 27 February 1964

Last Amended: 15 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1294946

English Heritage Legacy ID: 272612

Location: Burntwood, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield

Civil Parish: Burntwood

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Lichfield Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Burntwood

Listing Text


SK 01 SE BURNTWOOD C.P. ABNALLS LANE
SK 096100 (south side)

2/2 Darwin's Bath at
SK 096100 (formerly
27.2.64 listed as Bath House, Home Farm)
- II


Bath house. Reputedly early to mid-C18 base with a superstructure of circa 1890 and C20. Sandstone base with brick walls and segmental corrugated iron roof. Rectangular in plan approx. 3m x 10m. The base is all that remains of the sandstone tank bought in 1779 by Erasmus Darwin from Thomas Weld. The enclosing brick walls (approx. 1.8m high) and access steps must be Darwin's improvement and the canopy placed later for protection. The bath is sited in a hollow at the head of a stream close to Abnalls Cottage (q.v.) which Darwin used as a convalescence base for his patients, the bath being part of a curative system.


Listing NGR: SK0964610018

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


SK 01 SE BURNTWOOD C.P. ABNALLS LANE
SK 096100 (south side)

2/2 Darwin's Bath at
SK 096100 (formerly
27.2.64 listed as Bath House, Home Farm)
- II


Bath house. Reputedly early to mid-C18 base with a superstructure of circa 1890 and C20. Sandstone base with brick walls and segmental corrugated iron roof. Rectangular in plan approx. 3m x 10m. The base is all that remains of the sandstone tank bought in 1779 by Erasmus Darwin from Thomas Weld. The enclosing brick walls (approx. 1.8m high) and access steps must be Darwin's improvement and the canopy placed later for protection. The bath is sited in a hollow at the head of a stream close to Abnalls Cottage (q.v.) which Darwin used as a convalescence base for his patients, the bath being part of a curative system.


Listing NGR: SK0964610018

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.