This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7593 / 53°45'33"N
Longitude: -0.3487 / 0°20'55"W
OS Eastings: 508963
OS Northings: 430475
OS Grid: TA089304
Mapcode National: GBR GKH.YT
Mapcode Global: WHGFK.MR5Y
Entry Name: Beverley Road Swimming Centre
Listing Date: 4 July 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1297036
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387461
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU5
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Newland
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sculcoates St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 30/03/2017
KINGSTON UPON HULL
BEVERLEY ROAD (East side)
Beverley Road Swimming Centre
Swimming baths. 1903-05. Designed by Joseph H Hirst, City Architect.
MATERIALS: Red brick with ashlar dressings and copper and slate roofs with two coped ridge stacks. Chamfered ashlar plinth, sill bands and moulded cornice.
EXTERIOR: Main front has a central square tower, three stages, topped with an octagonal cupola with angle scroll brackets and a copper dome with iron weather vane. On the first floor a tall canted bay window with ashlar surround and arched hood. Above it a small circular window under a deep eaves cornice which arches over the window. Below, steps to the main doorway, with Ionic columns supporting an open pediment, and panelled double doors. To the right, a gabled block, two storeys, with ashlar flanking buttresses and gable topped with a pediment. Seven small windows with short Ionic pilasters between them, and above, a Venetian window. Beyond, on either side, a slightly recessed bay topped with a segmental pediment, with steps to round-arched ashlar doorway with panelled doors and overlight. To the left, a block, two storeys plus attics; five-window range. Central shallow canted bay window flanked by single wider bay windows, and beyond, single narrow windows. Above again, two pedimented dormers with scroll brackets. Below, to left, an entrance with glazed double doors. To its right, a narrow bay window, then a wider bay window and finally a narrow window. At the left corner, a single bay, two storeys, topped with an octagonal cupola with copper dome. Left return, to Epworth Street, has two facing gables with segmental pediments, and three doorways, all with prominent ashlar surrounds with segmental hoods on brackets. Various windows, also with ashlar surrounds. At the rear, a tall panelled chimney stack, formerly with a decorative cap.
INTERIOR has sumptuous entrance hall and foyer with a bronze portrait plaque of John Shaw, Chairman of the Baths Committee by E. Caldwell Spruce, 1905. There is extremely fine quality Art Nouveau tiling, by the Campbell Tile Company, which extends to the corridors and baths. Individual bath cubicles retain all their tiling and original baths. Two swimming baths also survive, with their original roofs, balconies and tiling.
Listing NGR: TA0896330475
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings