This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7614 / 53°45'40"N
Longitude: -0.3522 / 0°21'7"W
OS Eastings: 508728
OS Northings: 430706
OS Grid: TA087307
Mapcode National: GBR GKH.61
Mapcode Global: WHGFK.KQJB
Entry Name: The St Johns Hotel
Listing Date: 2 September 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1390613
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490678
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU5
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Avenue
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sculcoates St Mary
Church of England Diocese: York
KINGSTON UPON HULL
680-1/0/10072 QUEENS ROAD
02-SEP-03 (North side)
The St John's Hotel
Also Known As: The St John's Hotel, MAPLE STREET
Public house. 1865, remodelled internally 1904, with minor late C20 alterations. Red brick with Welsh slate hipped roofs and five brick chimney stacks. Two storey. Bracketed timber eaves.
Main south front has off-centre doorway and to the right two C20 casement windows with painted stucco lintels. To left the pub fa?ade has single Corinthian pilasters either side of the off-centre door and the two broad 3-light pub windows to left. These pilasters support a deep fascia board, and also flank the canted corner doorway to the left. Above five large plain sash windows, all with painted brick lintels.
Maple Street front has three irregularly spaced wibdows. The ground floor has to left a large 'smoke-room' window with painted stucco lintel with keystone, and to right an identical pub fa?ade to that on the south. Above three large, widely-spaced plain sash windows.
INTERIOR. This public house retains much of its original plan-form and most of its fixtures and fittings which survive from its Edwardian remodelling. The main public bar retains a fine bar and particularly well preserved shelving behind the bar. The rear room or former 'smoke-room' retains its original upholstered bench seating, and moulded plaster coving.
Philip Larkin - well known poet, who lived around the corner in Pearson Park, was a regular visitor to this public house.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings