This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6298 / 51°37'47"N
Longitude: 0.3187 / 0°19'7"E
OS Eastings: 560578
OS Northings: 194873
OS Grid: TQ605948
Mapcode National: GBR YG.T66
Mapcode Global: VHHN3.G9TG
Entry Name: Old Shenfield Place
Listing Date: 21 October 1958
Last Amended: 9 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1297232
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373448
Location: Brentwood, Essex, CM15
Electoral Ward/Division: Shenfield
Built-Up Area: Brentwood
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Shenfield St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ69SW HALL LANE, Shenfield
723-1/9/271 (West side)
21/10/58 Old Shenfield Place
(Formerly Listed as:
HALL LANE, Shenfield
Formerly known as: Old Shenfield Place ROMAN ROAD.
House, now residential institution. 1689 and early C18,
extended in C20. By Robert Hooke. Red brick in English bond,
and some Flemish, partly stuccoed, roofed with handmade red
clay tiles. Rectangular main block facing SE, with 2 external
stacks on each side. Rear wing incorporated in larger rear
extension under construction at time of inspection, July 1989.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, cellars and attics. C20 single-storey
extensions to right and rear right. Ground floor, five C19
sashes of 4 lights with moulded plaster architraves. First
floor, 5 similar sashes. Cellar, 3 casements with segmental
arches. Attic, two C20 casements in gabled dormers with
moulded pediments. The front elevation is stuccoed and
ashlared, extending round the right return to the first stack,
and round the left return on the first floor, where a
single-storey extension, probably a conservatory, has been
demolished. Band at first-floor level. Moulded and modillioned
eaves cornice. Hipped roof. The right elevation has on the
first floor 2 blocked apertures, and a similar band and eaves
cornice. To the rear of the rear stack is an early C18 sash of
4+4 lights on each floor; 2 similar sashes round the corner in
the rear elevation. The left elevation has on the ground floor
three C19 sashes of 4-lights, and French windows; and on the
first floor two C19 sashes of 6-lights and 2 blocked
apertures. Two C20 casements in large gabled dormer with
moulded pediment. Similar eaves cornice. C20 glazed door in
hipped extension to right. Some Flemish bond in rear elevation
and rear wing.
INTERIOR: all the ground floor interiors have original or
early C18 moulded pine panelling, moulded cornices, and
bolection-moulded fireplaces. Semi-elliptical arch between
entrance-hall at right, and stair to rear centre. The early
C18 stair is of 2 flights, with moulded closed strings,
twist-turned balusters, and moulded pine handrail; 3 plain
balusters at top. Some early C18 folding shutters and handmade
glass in the early C18 sashes already noted. One first-floor
room to rear left has panelling, cornices and fireplace
similar to those on the ground floor, but is now divided by an
inserted partition. The cellar has chamfered oak beams with
lamb's tongue stops and 2 early doors with altered hinges.
Shown as Shenfield Place on Chapman and Andre's road map of
1777, and as Mr Wheatley's house in J Cary, Survey of the High
Roads from London.
(Cary J: Survey of the High Roads from London: 1790-; Morant
P: The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex: 1768-:
Listing NGR: TQ6057894873
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings