This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6922 / 51°41'32"N
Longitude: 0.3181 / 0°19'4"E
OS Eastings: 560315
OS Northings: 201819
OS Grid: TL603018
Mapcode National: GBR NJD.WRP
Mapcode Global: VHHMQ.GQHL
Entry Name: Church Street Cottage
Listing Date: 20 February 1976
Last Amended: 9 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1297285
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373308
Location: Blackmore, Hook End and Wyatts Green, Brentwood, Essex, CM4
Civil Parish: Blackmore, Hook End and Wyatts Green
Built-Up Area: Blackmore
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Blackmore St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL6001 CHURCH STREET
723-1/15/4 (West side)
Church Street Cottage
(Formerly Listed as:
CHURCH STREET, Blackmore
House. Early C15 and late C16, altered in C20. Timber-framed,
plastered and weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red clay
tiles. Early C15 2-bay range aligned approximately E-W, gable
end to Church Street, with two C18 stacks to S, against
Blacksmith's Alley. The roads meet at an obtuse angle, and the
building is constructed to the same angle at the E end,
right-angled at the W end. Late C16 3-bay parallel and
adjacent range to N, aligned to Church Street at the E end,
projecting one 1:2 bays beyond the earlier range at the E, and
formerly jettied along this part, now underbuilt; axial stack
at E end of mid bay. 2 storeys. C18/19 single-storey lean-to
at W end of longer range of red brick in Flemish bond and
weatherboards, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. All
windows are C20 metal casements. Plain boarded door in C20
lean-to porch in rear angle.
The Church Street elevation is bricked up to first-floor
level, and the whole elevation plastered. The elevation of the
shorter range to Blacksmith's Alley is plastered, with red
brick stacks; both elevations to the yard at rear are
weatherboarded, and the N elevation. The S range is of only 3m
span, with jowled posts, chamfered joists of horizontal
section exposed in the E bay, and an underbuilt jetty to
Church Street. In the elevation to Blacksmith's Alley, between
the stacks, on the first floor, is a framed original window
with mortices for diamond mullions 76mm square, with a rebate
in the wallplate for a former shutter.
INTERIOR: roof difficult to access, reported to be rebuilt.
The N range has in the W bay a floor of C20 softwood joists,
plastered to the soffits, and a C20 grate. The 2 eastern bays
are undivided at both storeys, with chamfered binding and
bridging joists with lamb's tongue stops, plain joists of
vertical section, and evidence of the former jetty to the S.
Clasped purlin roof with some original wattle and daub
remaining in the E gable and the studded partition to W of it;
treble-pegged chamfered arched braces to the collar between
the other 2 bays, and originally no tie-beam, indicating that
it was formerly open to the roof, with C17 inserted ceiling.
The wide wood-burning hearth in the middle bay has an early
C16 moulded beam without stops as a mantel beam, possibly from
the Augustinian Priory dissolved in 1527; the brickwork of the
hearth has been wholly renewed in the C20; inside the stack
are several bricks engraved with various initials and the date
1804, moved by the present owner from the wall which
underbuilds the S jetty.
On the first floor, in the W and S walls, are formerly glazed
windows with ovolo mullions with moulded glazing fillets, and
diamond saddle bars, dating from the early C17, but not in
their original positions, reported to be moved from other
parts of the S wall, but themselves insertions.
Listing NGR: TL6031501819
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings