History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Little Jordan

A Grade II Listed Building in Blackmore, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6921 / 51°41'31"N

Longitude: 0.3184 / 0°19'6"E

OS Eastings: 560339

OS Northings: 201802

OS Grid: TL603018

Mapcode National: GBR NJD.WWM

Mapcode Global: VHHMQ.GQPQ

Entry Name: Little Jordan

Listing Date: 20 February 1967

Last Amended: 9 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1297286

English Heritage Legacy ID: 373318

Location: Blackmore, Hook End and Wyatts Green, Brentwood, Essex, CM4

County: Essex

District: Brentwood

Civil Parish: Blackmore, Hook End and Wyatts Green

Built-Up Area: Blackmore

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Blackmore St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Mountnessing

Listing Text


BLACKMORE

TL6001 CHURCH STREET
723-1/15/10 (East side)
20/02/67 Little Jordan
(Formerly Listed as:
BRENTWOOD
CHURCH STREET, Blackmore
(East side)
Little Jordan)

GV II

Formerly known as: House of Little Jordan (2 occupiers) CHURCH
STREET Blackmore BRENTWOOD.
House. c1600 and early C17. Timber-framed, plastered and
weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 2 bay
range facing Church Street, c1600, with stack to rear of right
bay; on the upper floor one bay is incorporated in No.2 (qv).
3-bay range extending obliquely to rear of left bay, along
Bull Alley, early C17, with external stack at end, and C19
single-storey extension beyond. 2 storeys (the front range
taller than the rear range). 2-window range of sashes of 8+8
lights, one on the first floor being an early C19 original,
the others C20, all with moulded surrounds. The elevation to
Bull Alley has on the ground floor one C19 sash of 6 lights,
and a C20 half-glazed door with side-light; on the first floor
2 early C17 windows each with 3 ovolo mullions with moulded
glazing fillets, and diamond mortices for missing saddle bars.
The lower storey of the gable end of the front range is
weatherboarded.
INTERIOR: the front range has unjowled posts, primary straight
bracing, chamfered binding and axial beams with lamb's tongue
stops, plain joists of vertical section, a groove in the
soffit of the front wallplate for sliding shutters, and a
complete unglazed window with 3 diamond mullions on the first
floor, towards Bull Alley; clasped purlin roof with arched
wind bracing. Hearth adapted in C20 grate. The original
windows on the first floor were discovered in 1988, with
mullions of a section which is common from 1620, in excellent
condition externally. These features merit special care. There
is a similar window, dated 1623 by inscription, at the granary
of Cressingham Temple Farm (not included).


Listing NGR: TL6033901802

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


BLACKMORE

TL6001 CHURCH STREET
723-1/15/10 (East side)
20/02/67 Little Jordan
(Formerly Listed as:
BRENTWOOD
CHURCH STREET, Blackmore
(East side)
Little Jordan)

GV II

Formerly known as: House of Little Jordan (2 occupiers) CHURCH
STREET Blackmore BRENTWOOD.
House. c1600 and early C17. Timber-framed, plastered and
weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 2 bay
range facing Church Street, c1600, with stack to rear of right
bay; on the upper floor one bay is incorporated in No.2 (qv).
3-bay range extending obliquely to rear of left bay, along
Bull Alley, early C17, with external stack at end, and C19
single-storey extension beyond. 2 storeys (the front range
taller than the rear range). 2-window range of sashes of 8+8
lights, one on the first floor being an early C19 original,
the others C20, all with moulded surrounds. The elevation to
Bull Alley has on the ground floor one C19 sash of 6 lights,
and a C20 half-glazed door with side-light; on the first floor
2 early C17 windows each with 3 ovolo mullions with moulded
glazing fillets, and diamond mortices for missing saddle bars.
The lower storey of the gable end of the front range is
weatherboarded.
INTERIOR: the front range has unjowled posts, primary straight
bracing, chamfered binding and axial beams with lamb's tongue
stops, plain joists of vertical section, a groove in the
soffit of the front wallplate for sliding shutters, and a
complete unglazed window with 3 diamond mullions on the first
floor, towards Bull Alley; clasped purlin roof with arched
wind bracing. Hearth adapted in C20 grate. The original
windows on the first floor were discovered in 1988, with
mullions of a section which is common from 1620, in excellent
condition externally. These features merit special care. There
is a similar window, dated 1623 by inscription, at the granary
of Cressingham Temple Farm (not included).


Listing NGR: TL6033901802

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.