This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0583 / 52°3'29"N
Longitude: -2.7096 / 2°42'34"W
OS Eastings: 351443
OS Northings: 240228
OS Grid: SO514402
Mapcode National: GBR FL.DGHW
Mapcode Global: VH85N.ZJDG
Entry Name: Governor's House
Listing Date: 22 October 1973
Last Amended: 27 July 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1297437
English Heritage Legacy ID: 372317
Location: Hereford, County of Herefordshire, HR1
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Hereford
Built-Up Area: Hereford
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: St Peter with St Owen and St James, Hereford
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 22/05/2012
(Formerly listed as Bus Station Offices)
(Formerly Listed as COMMERCIAL ROAD Omnibus Station Offices)
Prison Governor's house, now offices. Part of gaol complex
built to designs of John Nash. Early C19. Ashlar sandstone;
hand-cut slate roof, hipped to right, with gables; 2 stone
stacks to ridge, 2 to right end. 2-unit, lobby-entry plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; symmetrical 4-window range: 2/2 sashes in
round-headed arches with keyed, moulded architraves; moulded
and corbelled stone eaves. Rusticated ground floor with
rusticated keyed arches to doors and windows: entrances to
right, with half-glazed, round-headed doors in moulded cases;
plate-glass windows in moulded round-headed cases, to left.
Stucco pilaster to left. Glass verandah on cast-iron pillars
continuing over C20 brick shelter to left returned side.
Rear has remnant of early C19 brick wall on chamfered stone
plinth, to right; 5-window range: louvred windows and doors in
similar arches, but reduced in size. Left-hand element, with
C20 door to far left, prominent, with roughcast, probably to
HISTORY: the house was part of the County Gaol, (gaol building
now gone), which was erected in 1797 at a cost of »18,646.
Listing NGR: SO5144340228
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings