History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Keepers Lodge and Attached Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Lathom, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.575 / 53°34'29"N

Longitude: -2.8509 / 2°51'3"W

OS Eastings: 343752

OS Northings: 409045

OS Grid: SD437090

Mapcode National: GBR 8WJ3.L6

Mapcode Global: WH86J.5DPP

Entry Name: Keepers Lodge and Attached Wall

Listing Date: 11 August 1972

Last Amended: 1 March 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1297510

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386314

Location: Lathom, West Lancashire, Lancashire, L40

County: Lancashire

Civil Parish: Lathom

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Westhead St James

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Burscough

Listing Text


LATHOM

SD40NW SANDY LANE
663-1/4/76 (North East side)
11/08/72 Keepers Lodge and attached wall
(Formerly Listed as:
SANDY LANE
The Lodge)

GV II

Lodge. Dated 1868 in east gable; slightly altered. Coursed
rock-faced sandstone with ashlar dressings, stone slate roof.
L-plan with single-depth main range parallel to road, with
rear wing to right-hand half and courtyard in angle enclosed
by screen wall. Jacobean style. Single storey, 2 unequal bays,
asymmetrical, with chamfered plinth and steeply-pitched roofs
with raised ridged gable copings with kneelers. Offset to the
right is a prominent gabled porch which has a shouldered
doorway with moulded ashlar surround, a studded board door
with strap hinges, a carved shield in the gable, and
single-light windows in the side walls with double-chamfered
surrounds and diamond lattice glazing with coloured margin
panes. To the left are two 2-light mullioned windows with
double-chamfered surrounds and altered glazing. Ridge chimney.
The right-hand gable wall has a disproportionately large
rectangular mullion-and-transom bay window with coped parapet,
and in the gable above a large plaque inscribed "1868".
One-bay rear wing in similar style. Full-height screen wall
enclosing rear courtyard. Forms group with Robinson's
Farmhouse, Cranes Lane (q.v.) to the north-east.


Listing NGR: SD4375209045

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.