History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

56a, Highbury Grove

A Grade II Listed Building in Islington, Islington

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5527 / 51°33'9"N

Longitude: -0.0967 / 0°5'48"W

OS Eastings: 532052

OS Northings: 185468

OS Grid: TQ320854

Mapcode National: GBR GJ.Y0G

Mapcode Global: VHGQT.87QL

Entry Name: 56a, Highbury Grove

Listing Date: 27 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1298032

English Heritage Legacy ID: 368967

Location: Islington, London, N5

County: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: Highbury East

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Christ Church Highbury Grove

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Highbury

Listing Text


ISLINGTON

TQ3285SW HIGHBURY GROVE
635-1/39/457 (East side)
27/07/88 No.56A

II

Balloon-making workshop, now a garage. Built c.1900 for the
Spencer brothers. Brick set in English bond, roof of
corrugated steel. One storey, open plan. Gabled east and west
ends; on the south side six windows (two blocked) and two
doors (both blocked), all with replacement lintels; east end
has central flat-arched entrance with gauged brick head and
two flanking flat-arched windows with gauged brick heads;
north side has six windows, three with cambered-arched heads,
three with replacement lintels, and two entrances now blocked;
the west end now partly rendered with several new openings and
a large works entry of late C20 date. Roof of semi-circular
form carried on eight iron sickle-girders; the crown of the
roof having a glazed lantern running most of the length of the
building.
INTERIOR: has glazed white and brown brick to dado, and
partitions to west end.
The Spencer brothers were pioneering aeronauts of the late C19
and were noted for their work in perfecting the design of the
parachute and balloon. In 1900 Stanley Spencer constructed one
of the first hydrogen-filled balloons, or airships. Of these
he is counted a pioneer, along with Count Von Zeppelin and the
Brazilian Santos-Dumont.
(J.M.Bacon: The Dominion of the Air: 1902-: PP.338-9).


Listing NGR: TQ3205285468

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.