This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5295 / 51°31'46"N
Longitude: -0.1106 / 0°6'38"W
OS Eastings: 531158
OS Northings: 182866
OS Grid: TQ311828
Mapcode National: GBR M5.BX
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.1TDC
Plus Code: 9C3XGVHQ+QQ
Entry Name: Numbers 43-55 (Odd) and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 29 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298105
English Heritage Legacy ID: 368520
Location: Islington, London, EC1R
Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Clerkenwell St Mark
Church of England Diocese: London
and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
Seven terraced houses. Dated 1824; mid C19 shopfront to no.
53. By William Chadwell Mylne, Surveyor for the New River
Estate. Yellow stock brick set in Flemish bond with banded
stucco ground-floor and stucco dressings; roofs obscured,
party-wall brick stacks. Side-hall entrance plan; no. 53 with
ground-floor shop and side-hall entrance plan to upper floors.
Four storeys except no. 43 (three storeys) with basement; 2
windows each. Steps rise to round-arched entrance (except nos.
51 & 53): fluted 1/4 column jambs (nos. 51 & 53 plain)
carrying corniced-head, fanlight (nos. 47 & 49 patterned; no.
51 with overlight) and original panelled door to nos. 45-51
and 55. 2/2 and 6/6 sashes to ground-floors. No. 53 has mostly
intact shopfront: wide C19 panelled shop/house door to right;
altered C19 shop windows to left; fascia and projecting
cornice with C20 alterations. Gauged-brick flat arches with
6/6 and 3/3 sashes to upper floors; 1st floor stucco sill band
beneath full-length sashes set in arched brick recesses with
individual cast-iron balconies to nos. 45 and 55. Some
rebuilding to upper floors; between nos. 47 and 49 plaque at
2nd floor level inscribed 'Thompson's Terrace 1824'. Plain
brick parapet with stone coping; nos. 47 and 49 with stucco
band to parapet. Attached cast-iron railings with urn finials.
The terrace was known originally as Thompson's Terrace.
Listing NGR: TQ3115882866
Other nearby listed buildings