History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Paignton, Torbay

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4324 / 50°25'56"N

Longitude: -3.5636 / 3°33'48"W

OS Eastings: 289044

OS Northings: 60339

OS Grid: SX890603

Mapcode National: GBR QT.S816

Mapcode Global: FRA 37FX.7HM

Plus Code: 9C2RCCJP+XH

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 25 October 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1298235

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383851

Location: Torbay, TQ4

County: Torbay

Electoral Ward/Division: Roundham-with-Hyde

Built-Up Area: Paignton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Paignton St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Paignton

Description

SX8960
1947-1/6/81

PAIGNTON
SANDS ROAD (south side)
Parish Church of St Andrew

II
Parish church. 1892-1897 to the designs of Fulford, Tait and Harvey; west end completed by W.D Caröe 1929-1930. Tall town church in Free French Gothic style with Arts and Crafts details.

MATERIALS: Local red snecked breccia with yellow sandstone dressings; red tile roof; original cast-iron rainwater goods.

PLAN: Nave; chancel; north and south two bay transepts; north and south five and a half bay aisles; north east lady chapel; south east vestry; entrance on south west side.

EXTERIOR: Deep battered plinth. Buttressed chancel with central buttress with set-offs and gable below traceried roundel window. Basement level with ogival-headed slit windows and doorways with depressed ogival heads. South return of chancel has unusual paired lancet window in stone recess with buttress-like detail in the centre; gabled stone bellcote. Lady Chapel has semi-circular end and a conical tiled roof; three trefoil-headed windows in round-headed arches with moulded string below the sills.
Easternmost bay of north aisle is the heavily buttressed base of the unconstructed tower and has been roofed over with a hipped roof with deep eaves on timber brackets above louvred panels. North transept has two gables to the north with round windows with free flamboyant tracery. North aisle divided between two eastern bays, buttressed with lean-to roof and a western section containing the baptistry. Eastern bays have square-headed three-light windows, baptistry has two-light transomed window with cusped lights in a square-headed frame. Nave has a clerestorey with two pairs of windows to each buttressed bay, windows with cusped arched heads. South side has a similar transept and two bay eastern section to aisle. To the west there is a south porch with a canted corner and segmental-headed arch, three-light square-headed cusped window above.

East end has flat-roofed wrap-around vestry with a parapet and small two- and three-light windows with a doorway on the east return. West end is buttressed with a two-light window in a three-centred stone frame, each light with Y tracery and cusped head, traceried roundel in square frame in gable. Steps up to projecting west porch with angle buttresses and a moulded arched doorway recessed under a segmental stone arch which acts as a porch hood.

INTERIOR: Moulded chancel arch on shafts supported on corbels carved with six-winged angles. Moulded arches to arcades which have alternating octagonal and cylindrical piers with detached Purbeck shafts. Clerestory windows have internal trefoil-headed arches on shafts. Chancel has a two bay archway into the Lady Chapel with a blind vessica in the tympanum. Keeled roofs to transepts; keeled boarded wagon roof to nave.

FITTINGS: 1950s reredos, mosaic chancel floor, sedilia with timber canopy, choir stalls with carved bench ends; marble chancel rail with brattished ironwork. Lavish pulpit by Hems and Son of Exeter with an octagonal bowl with inlaid marble and alabaster figures in niches. Octagonal late medieval font, formerly at the medieval parish church of St John the Baptist, with a C15 bowl on a replaced stem. Elaborate timber font cover to Caröe's designs, dated 1912 (disused at time of survey) with figures in niches and crocketed pinnacles and gables.

STAINED GLASS: Good set of late C19 stained glass and attractive Art Nouveau leaded glass in the heads of some of the plain windows.

Listing NGR: SX8904460339

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.