History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

23, Castle Hill

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0493 / 54°2'57"N

Longitude: -2.804 / 2°48'14"W

OS Eastings: 347457

OS Northings: 461776

OS Grid: SD474617

Mapcode National: GBR 8PVM.R6

Mapcode Global: WH846.WHY3

Entry Name: 23, Castle Hill

Listing Date: 18 February 1970

Last Amended: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1298386

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383072

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761NW CASTLE HILL
1685-1/6/39 (East side)
18/02/70 No.23
(Formerly Listed as:
CASTLE HILL
(South East side)
No.23
Portofino Restaurant)

GV II

House, subsequently a stained glass studio and workshop, now a
restaurant. Later C18 (before 1778), altered in late C19.
Sandstone ashlar facade with coursed rubble to the side and
rear. Slate roof, with the remains of a coped gable on the
right and gable chimneys, that on the right being on the roof
slope. Double-depth plan with a rear wing to right.
3 storeys above a cellar, and 3 bays with a very prominent
added attic. Chamfered quoins. Ground floor has a waggon
entrance with 2 panelled doors on the left, and then the
remains of a ground-floor sill band interrupted by 2 large
late C19 rectangular windows with decorated wooden architraves
and stained-glass panels in geometrical leading, but with
plain glass in the lower part of the left-hand window. The
upper floors have 12-pane sashes within plain raised
surrounds, and the heads of the top windows, which are
shorter, are incorporated in a plain frieze which has the
remains of painted lettering, reading 'STAINED GLASS
HERALDIC...'.
The attic storey has a continuous studio window of 6 casement
lights with a boarded gablet over each pair; each light is
divided into 6 large panes of square-leaded glazing; there is
similar glazing in the returned ends. The long rear wing has
in its gable large doorways, presumably, once windows, on the
first and second floors leading to a steel fire escape; on the
north side it has a glazed timber-framed projection.
HISTORY: formerly the premises of Messrs Shrigley and Hunt,
stained glass makers. The firm developed from Shrigley and
Son, founded in the late C18, which became Shrigley and Hunt
in 1870. It moved to premises in West Road before closing in
the 1970s.
(Lancaster City Museums Local Studies: Price, J: Industrial
Lancaster: Lancaster: 1989-).


Listing NGR: SD4745761776

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.