History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

19, Castle Hill

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.0495 / 54°2'58"N

Longitude: -2.804 / 2°48'14"W

OS Eastings: 347454

OS Northings: 461799

OS Grid: SD474617

Mapcode National: GBR 8PVM.Q4

Mapcode Global: WH846.WGXY

Entry Name: 19, Castle Hill

Listing Date: 22 December 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194938

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383070

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


1685-1/6/37 (East side)
22/12/53 No.19


Dispensary, now office. 1785, altered 1845. Sandstone ashlar
facade with ashlar dressings, coursed rubble elsewhere. Slate
roof with gable chimneys. Shallow double-depth plan with small
one-storey lean-to extension at the rear.
2 storeys over a cellar, and 3 bays, of which the central one
on the first floor contains a square niche, framed by inverted
scrolled jambs under a plain cornice and containing a worn
tablet inscribed 'ILC 1845'. Sill bands on both floors, and
above first-floor windows a fluted frieze, in the centre of
which is a plain band where the painted letters 'DISPENSARY'
were just discernible in 1989, but now removed by abrasive
cleaning. Overall is a shallow moulded pediment, which has 3
ball finials, divided horizontally by thin square slabs set
diagonally. All the windows have plain reveals and 4-pane
sashes. The central round-headed doorway, up 2 nosed steps, is
flanked by engaged Tuscan columns carrying fluted entablatures
and an open pediment. The door has 9 raised and fielded
panels, and the fanlight has radiating glazing bars.
INTERIOR: contains some doorways with reeded architraves, and
panelled shutters on the first floor.
HISTORY: built by public subscription in 1785 as the second
home, until 1832, of the town's dispensary. The niche
originally contained a square Coade stone plaque representing
the Good Samaritan; this was subsequently moved and placed
above the entrance of the Royal Lancaster Infirmary, Ashton
Road (qv).

Listing NGR: SD4745461799

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.