This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0502 / 54°3'0"N
Longitude: -2.8028 / 2°48'10"W
OS Eastings: 347537
OS Northings: 461875
OS Grid: SD475618
Mapcode National: GBR 8PWL.0W
Mapcode Global: WH846.XGJF
Entry Name: 78 and 80, Church Street
Listing Date: 22 December 1953
Last Amended: 13 March 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1298413
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383120
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD4761NE CHURCH STREET
1685-1/7/88 (North side)
22/12/53 Nos.78 AND 80
(Formerly Listed as:
(Formerly Listed as:
House, now offices. Built in 1775 for Dr Daniel Wilson, but
divided into 2 houses in the mid C19 and altered. Sandstone
ashlar with ashlar dressings, on the front and back, with
coursed rubble on the left-hand gable. Slate roof with chimney
stacks on the gables and on the ridge above the cross walls. 3
storeys above a cellar, which is at ground level at the rear,
and 5 bays with a projecting bow in the centre; this contains
3 windows on the upper floors and, on the ground floor, 2
windows and a doorway - all are curved on plan. Above the
first-floor windows runs a modillion cornice. The windows
below this have moulded sills and architraves, while those
above it have plain reveals. All the windows are sashed
without glazing bars.
The doorway has engaged Doric columns supporting a triglyph
frieze and pediment, all curved on plan. The mahogany door has
6 raised and fielded panels beneath a fanlight. The area to
the right of the doorway has plain cast-iron railings, perhaps
original. On either side of the facade is a slightly-recessed
one-bay wall, of one storey on the left, but 2 storeys backed
by rooms on the right, which contains a doorway with a moulded
architrave under a pediment; as the one to the left still
does, these doorways originally led to the garden, but the one
on the right is now the entrance to No.78.
At the rear the windows have raised plain surrounds, and most
have 12-pane sashes. In the central bay there are a triple
window to the cellar, a Venetian window on the ground and
first floors, and a Diocletian window on the second floor.
INTERIOR: in No.80 the large hall, into which one rises up
steps within the projecting bow, has pedimented doorcases, a
modillion cornice, and a delicate Adam-style ceiling with
circular patterns; other rooms have more ornate ceilings
dating from mid C19, when the generously proportioned
quarter-turn staircase was inserted. No.78 has several
original doorcases, but mostly C19 ceilings, less ornate than
those in No.80. The top flights of the staircase appear to be
those of the original back stair, with turned newels, a closed
string, stick balusters, and a ramped mahogany handrail.
HISTORY: during the excavations for the cellar in 1775 a
number of Roman coins and pottery fragments were discovered
(see Clark, pp 76-77).
No.78 listed on 18.2.70.
(Clark C: An Historical and Descriptive Account of the Town of
Lancaster: Lancaster: 1807-: 76-77).
Listing NGR: SD4753761875
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings