This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8528 / 51°51'9"N
Longitude: -2.4327 / 2°25'57"W
OS Eastings: 370293
OS Northings: 217218
OS Grid: SO702172
Mapcode National: GBR FY.TK5W
Mapcode Global: VH86S.SP9J
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 23 September 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1299195
English Heritage Legacy ID: 354071
Location: Blaisdon, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL17
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Blaisdon
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Blaisdon St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 71 NW BLAISDON BLAISDON VILLAGE
7/3 Church of St. Michael and All
Church, C15 tower, rest rebuilt 1867-9; by F.R. Kempson of Hereford
for H. Crawshay. Tower thin coursed rubble, church squared red
Forest stone with cream ashlar dressings: slate roof. West tower
4-bay nave, with north aisle, chancel with vestry, south porch.
Tower of two stages, with diagonal corner buttresses, 2-light
belfry window with stone louvres, no hood mould: below a single-
light square-headed window. Battlemented parapet with short spire
above. Gabled porch, door with two-centred pointed head, possibly
later wrought-iron gates: above a circular window. Nave has
plinth, moulded string course at window-sill level, and stone
corbels to eaves gutter. Lancet window to west of porch, two 2-
light plate-tracery windows to east, all with hoodmoulds. Gable
has copings and apex cross, with square-set buttress below.
Chancel similar to nave, but with central door, at top of steps,
and one lancet each side. East wall has three grouped lancets.
Internally nave arcade has monolithic columns, carved leaf
capitals. Roofs open. In chancel an aumbry from earlier church on
north, with cinque-foiled ogee head, piscina in south window sill.
Octagonal stone font on columnar base dates from rebuilding. C16
linen-fold panelled pew ends reused in north aisle. Sundry late
C18, early C19 monuments in tower base, also painted board
recording fire burning down village in 1699.
Listing NGR: SO7029317218
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings