This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9063 / 53°54'22"N
Longitude: -1.3493 / 1°20'57"W
OS Eastings: 442848
OS Northings: 445763
OS Grid: SE428457
Mapcode National: GBR MR08.PG
Mapcode Global: WHDB7.72RQ
Plus Code: 9C5WWM42+G7
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 8 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1299362
English Heritage Legacy ID: 341988
Location: Boston Spa, Leeds, LS23
Civil Parish: Boston Spa
Built-Up Area: Boston Spa
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Lower Wharfe
Church of England Diocese: York
Tagged with: Church building
SE 4245-4345 BOSTON SPA HIGH STREET
LS23 (north side)
6/68 Church of St. Mary
Church. Originally of 1812-14 by S. Taite; completely rebuilt in 3 stages
between 1872 and 1884 by W. H. Parkinson, Ashlar magnesian limestone with
some sandstone dressinqs, graduated green slate roof. Cruciform plan with
west tower, 4-bay aisled nave and with north chapel and south vestry against
a short chancel, Gothic Revival, in Early English style. Tower (1884): 3
stages; double-chamfered plinth and moulded band; offset angle buttresses
rise 1½ stages and terminate at gablets set on carved heads, north-west stair
turret of same height. South doorway with moulded, pointed arch having
shafts, dogtooth moulding and hoodmould in a raised panel with gable and
cross. West window of one tall, trefoiled light beneath hoodmould with
grotesque stops. Offset string course to 2nd stage with 2 lancets to west
linked by hoodmould, flush ashlar band beneath south and west clock faces.
Offset belfry stage has paired louvred and traceried openings linked by
continuous hoodmould. Ornamental string course below parapet with corner
merlons and central gablets; pyramidal roof with weathervana,
Nave (1877): chamfered plinth and moulded band; aisle buttresses at west
angle and between pairs of lancet windows; stepped, 3-light west window with
hoodmould Clerestory: two windows of 2 trefoiled lights to each bay;
moulded eaves with carved heads to steeply-pitched roof with east gable
copings and cross. South transept: blocked west door; angle buttresses flank
couth windows of 2, tall trefoiled lights with linking hoodmould, gable
trefoil, North side is similar but aisle has one less bay to west (adjoining
church rooms under construction, 1987).
Chancel (1872): lower and with tall trefoiled 2-light windows on each side
and stepped 3-light east window under hoodmould with head-carved stops; east
gable copings with cross, Twin-gabled south vestry; gabled north chapel.
Interior: double-chamfered tower arch, the inner order on shafts rising from
head-carved corbels, Arcades, of 4 bays to south and of 3 bays to north,
have round piers, carved capitals and deeply-chamfered, pointed arches.
Angel corbels to aisle principals and to arch-braced nave roof. Transept
arches of 2 hollow-chamfered orders. Chancel arch is chamfered with short
shafts to inner order; 2 moulded arches into the vestry have central pier;
seoilia. Stained glass east window by Clayton and Bell, Early Cl9 wall
monuments in south transept and under tower; next to tower dour a plaque from
earlier church with date 1812 and name 'S, Taite Arch.t'.
H. L. Freeman, The Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin, 1985 (church guide).
B, M. Scott,Boston Spa, 2nd edition, 1985, pp 46-50 (plates)
Listing NGR: SE4284845763
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings