History in Structure

The Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul

A Grade I Listed Building in Weobley, County of Herefordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.1618 / 52°9'42"N

Longitude: -2.876 / 2°52'33"W

OS Eastings: 340177

OS Northings: 251866

OS Grid: SO401518

Mapcode National: GBR FC.5WTH

Mapcode Global: VH77K.3XGM

Plus Code: 9C4V546F+PJ

Entry Name: The Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul

Listing Date: 2 September 1966

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1301343

English Heritage Legacy ID: 149911

ID on this website: 101301343

Location: St Peter and St Paul's Church, Weobley, County of Herefordshire, HR4

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Weobley

Built-Up Area: Weobley

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Weobley

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


SO 4051 - 4151; 14/129

CHURCH ROAD (west side)

The Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul




Parish church. C13, incorporating some C12 fragments, partly rebuilt C14
with detached tower, tower attached in C15. Spire partly rebuilt in late
C17 after a lightning strike. Church restored 1865. Coursed rubble with
ashlar dressings under a stone tile and tile roof. Nave with north and south
aisles, tower to north-west corner, and chancel with a north vestry.

built in mid-C14 of five storeys, undivided externally, capped by an octagonal
spire. It has a deep plinth and a crenellated parapet with tall crocketted
pinnacles at the angles, the faces of the pinnacles being traceried. The east,
north and west walls have a recess with window of three trefoiled lights with
tracery under the two-centred head. Only the central light is pierced to form
a window, the side lights having a bracket for statues. The spire is supported
at the bottom by flying buttresses from the pinnacles. The side walls of the
spire each have a window of two ogee trefoiled lights under a two-centred head,
set in a crocketted gable with side pinnacles. South aisle of C13 is of four
bays, that to east carried up to form a C19 gable containing a rose window
over two lancets. To west of this, a C19 window of three stepped lancets,
then the early C14 stone porch with a further C19 window to west of two
trefoiled lights under a two-centred head. The south porch, raised in the C16,
has a two-centred outer arch of two chamfered orders. The side walls each
have a lancet window. The roof is low-pitched C16 painted timber construction.
The south door is re-set C12 with a semi-circular arch of two moulded orders,
the inner continued down the jambs, the outer with chevron ornament resting
on shafts (lost). The moulded label is C13. The C14 clerestory has four
windows each of two cinquefoiled lights under a two-centred head. The west
wall has a 2-light C14 window over a pair of C13 lancets. The east window is
of three trefoiled lights. The north aisle is C15 incorporating the C14 north
transept. The east bay is gabled to the former transept with a C14 window of
two trefoiled lights and a two-centred head with a moulded label. To west of
this a C15 window of four cinquefoiled lights with tracery in the two-centred
head. The former north door to the west end has a segmental pointed head and
was blocked in the C19 to form a 2-light window. The west wall has a C15
window of three cinquefoiled ogee lights with tracery in the two-centred head.
The east window is of two cinquefoiled lights under a two-centred head. The
nave west wall was rebuilt in the early C14 and has a west door with a two-
centred arch of four moulded orders, two with ball flower ornament continued
down the jambs which also had a shaft with moulded capital. Above-this the
west window has a two-centred head over four restored trefoil lights. Chancel
built C13, the south wall of three bays, the outer two with three stepped lancets,
the centre of two pointed lights under a two-centred head. North wall has the
central early C14 north vestry with C19 window flanked by two windows, each of
two pointed lights under a two-centred head. East window is C15, of five
trefoiled lights with tracery in the two-centred head.

INTERIOR: the nave has
five-bay arcades to both aisles of the early C14 with two-centred arches of
two hollow-chamfered orders with moulded labels on octagonal columns. The
eastern arch of each arcade has ball flower ornament. There is a doorway to
the north of the north-east respond leading to the roof loft stair, which has
an upper doorway with a segmental pointed head. There are various blocking pieces
marking the position of the main supports for the rood loft. The chancel arch is
C14 and two-centred, of three sunken chamfered orders, the inner springing from
from triple shafts. Roofs are mostly C19, although the south aisle retains
two trusses at the east end with moulded and cambered tie beams. Fittings:
chancel screen C19 wrought iron. At east end of north wall a memorial to
Colonel John Birch, MP, died 1691. It is of white and grey marble with a
pedestal and semi-circular headed niche flanked by Corinthian columns
supporting a broken pediment with trophies of arms flanking the main composition.
In niche a standing figure of a man in armour holding a baton. Set against
north wall an altar tomb bearing an early C15 effigy of a man in armour. In
south wall a two-centred recess with label, a pair of mid-C15 effigies of a
man in armour and a lady. The C14 font has an octagonal bowl with traceried
sides on a plain stem with a moulded base. The south door bears the initials
SH, IB and CHW, and the date 1712 on a small shield.

Listing NGR: SO4017451865

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.