This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0914 / 51°5'29"N
Longitude: -1.2381 / 1°14'17"W
OS Eastings: 453454
OS Northings: 132733
OS Grid: SU534327
Mapcode National: GBR 972.KSS
Mapcode Global: FRA 8697.FH2
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 5 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1302951
English Heritage Legacy ID: 145683
Location: Itchen Valley, Winchester, Hampshire, SO21
Civil Parish: Itchen Valley
Built-Up Area: Itchen Abbas
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: The Itchen Valley
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 5332 ITCHEN VALLEY ITCHEN ABBAS
14/6 Church of St John The Baptist
Parish church. Rebuilt 1863-83 by W. Coles reusing C12 arches. Knapped
flint and stone dressings, old plaintile roof. Neo-Norman cruciform plan
of chancel and nave with transepts, and W bellcote. Plinth round whole
church, and clasping buttresses to all corners. E chancel wall has pair of
round-headed windows with shafts and zig-zag hood and round window above.
Round-headed lancets with shafts in side walls. Stone corbel table eaves.
Nave has on side to E and W of transepts a large round-headed lancet with
zig-zag surround. W end of 3 panels with round-headed window in each,round
gable window and corbel table gable. S transept has round headed side doors
and on gable end central buttress, 2 low rectangular lancets 2 high round-headed
windows and round gable window. N transept has gabled E porch with reset
C12 restored doorway with plain inner order and order of columns with single
scallop capitals impost and zig-zag ornament. N wall has buttress in centre
and 2 large round-headed windows with round gable window. Small gabled stone
bellcote with roof projecting to E. Inside E chancel windows under one rear
arch with marble shafts and zig-zag head. NW monument: 1832 Mary itynne.
Chancel arch C12 2 orders inner plain outer has heavy billets on impost
with scallop capital to S and flat leaf capital to N. S transept has low
vestry at S end with 2 round headed doors and above vestry 2 C18 foliated
shields with monument 1826 to Arabella Sawbridge and 1809 to Rev. Charles
Powlett. N transept has early C,19 font with shallow octagonal bowl on
arcaded shaft. Tablets 1733 to John Newey Dean of Chichester; 1737 John and
Samuel Newey (sons) in porch. Barrel vaulted roof with interesting design of
roof at crossing.
Listing NGR: SP4850432255
Other nearby listed buildings