This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.1704 / 55°10'13"N
Longitude: -1.6931 / 1°41'35"W
OS Eastings: 419649
OS Northings: 586277
OS Grid: NZ196862
Mapcode National: GBR J8MN.7C
Mapcode Global: WHC2Q.Y9YM
Entry Name: 94, Newgate Street
Listing Date: 11 August 1950
Last Amended: 22 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303054
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238747
Location: Morpeth, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Morpeth
Built-Up Area: Morpeth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Morpeth
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
No. 94 (formerly
listed as Morpeth
High School for Girls)
Offices, formerly a house, then a school, now Education Offices. Mid C18 and
c.1840. In 3 sections.
Mid C18 centre section: Brick in English Garden Wall Bond. Stone slate roof.
3 storeys, 4 bays. Rusticated quoins. 12-pane sashes with moulded sills and
flat arches with moulded keystone. Band above ground floor, and 2nd floor sill
Right section c.1840: Ashlar with Welsh slate roof. Tudor style. 2 storeys,
4 windows on ground floor, 3 above. 1st-floor central window is a canted
castellated oriel. Outer windows have gables over. Castellated Tudor-arched
carriage entry to right. Doorway to rear in facade with 2 projecting square
towers: windows with hoodmoulds and castellated parapet.
Left section is not of the same special interest as the rest of the building.
Early C20 Teachers' Centre to rear not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NZ1964986277
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings