This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4123 / 51°24'44"N
Longitude: -1.1519 / 1°9'6"W
OS Eastings: 459080
OS Northings: 168480
OS Grid: SU590684
Mapcode National: GBR 93B.HKM
Mapcode Global: VHCZF.ZRDQ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 14 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303517
English Heritage Legacy ID: 39542
Location: Beenham, West Berkshire, RG7
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: Beenham
Built-Up Area: Beenham
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Beenham Valence
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
3/39 Church Of St.Mary
Church. Tower of 1794, nave and aisles of 1859, and chancel of 1871. Henry
Woodyer. Brick tower with stone dressings, rest of flint with stone dressings, and
tiled roof, catslide over nave and aisles. Late C13 style. West tower, nave, north
and south aisles, south porch, chancel and vestry. Tower: 3 stages with plinth, string
courses, cornice, coped parapet and 4 corner obelisks, that to south-west with
weathervane. Large mid C19 west window of 3 lights, and small early C19 arched window
to north; round arched louvred bell chamber openings on all faces, and clock to east.
South aisle: 3 square headed windows, 2 with 3 cusped lights and one with 4 cusped
lights; 2-light window to west and 3-light window to east, both with hood moulds.
South porch with chamfered arch, hood mould, IHS carved in coped parapetted gable,
and 3 cusped lights, on each side. North aisle: 3 square headed windows, one with 4
cusped lights and 2 with 5 cusped lights; 2-light window to west with hood mould.
Chancel: three 2-light windows to south; clasping buttresses and 3-light window with
geometrical tracery and hood mould to east. Vestry: cusped lancet to east, door,
and 3 stepped lancets under gable to north. Interior: 5 bay north and south aisle
arcades with round piers, moulded bases and capitals, moulded arches and hood moulds
with carved stops. Arch braced nave roof. Simple moulded chancel arch without
capitals, hood mould has stops carved as wheat and leaves. Painted decoration in
chancel and aisles by Miss Sharp of Ufton Court, including neo-Quattrocento Last
Supper. All fittings C19 including font, eagle lectern, pulpit and reredos. Many wall
tablets, including, in tower, those to Berrington, with Cherubs and 2 Ionic pilasters
supporting cornice; John Berrington of l126, with fluted pilasters, cornice and coat
of arms; Hopson; and in nave to Thomas Stackhouse with triangular pediment and
open book above. V.C.H. Vol.3, p.279; B.O.E.Berkshire, p.85.
Listing NGR: SU5908068480
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings