This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.295 / 55°17'41"N
Longitude: -1.7194 / 1°43'9"W
OS Eastings: 417917
OS Northings: 600133
OS Grid: NU179001
Mapcode National: GBR J7F6.KQ
Mapcode Global: WHC24.K5GM
Entry Name: Felton Park
Listing Date: 5 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1303774
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236772
Location: Felton, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Felton
Built-Up Area: Felton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Felton St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
FELTON FELTON PARK
NU 10 SE
6/l03 Felton Park
House, 1732 and 1799 altered 1951. 1732 house probably by Canston for Edward
Horsley Widdrington, remodelled 1799 for Ralph Riddell; main part demolished
1951. Squared stone with cut dressings; Lakeland slates on front block,
Scottish and Welsh slates on wing. Plan: 1799 front block is former east
wing, with 1732 L-plan wing at rear.
South front 2 storeys, 7 bays, symmetrical. Plinth, rusticated quoins.
4 steps up to central renewed door with 8-pane overlight; 12-pane sashes
except for blind windows in left end bay. Moulded eaves cornice. Hipped
roof with 2 rebuilt stepped-and-corniced stacks. 2-bay right return shows
12-pane sashes, renewed on ground floor.
West elevation 6 + 3 bays. Rusticated quoins, sill bands. Left part shows
old boarded door in rusticated surround in bay 4, and 12-pane sash windows,
some renewed, in moulded surrounds. Roof hipped to left, with stepped-and-
corniced ridge stack. Attached 3-step mounting block near left end. Similar
3-bay left return with 2 ground-floor windows blind. Projecting right part
shows similar doorway re-set from demolished part and various sashes, some
renewed and in re-set surrounds; rainwater head inscribed RR 1799 on inner
Rear of wing shows central projection with boarded door and 4-pane overlight
in rusticated surround, 12-pane sash above and hipped roof; projecting part
to right shows blocked elliptical arch in raised alternating-block surround
on inner return. At rear of front block is G III R rainwater head from Old
Cavalry Buildings in Canterbury.
Interior: Front block has 3 segmental-arched fireplaces of former kitchen
in rear wall; bedrooms above, formerly nurseries, have fielded-panel doors
and coved ceilings with enriched cornices. Rear wing has entrance passage
flanked by round-arched stone doorways with imposts and keystones.
Listing NGR: NU1816700130
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings