This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.2948 / 55°17'41"N
Longitude: -1.7202 / 1°43'12"W
OS Eastings: 417864
OS Northings: 600114
OS Grid: NU178001
Mapcode National: GBR J7F6.CR
Mapcode Global: WHC24.K52R
Plus Code: 9C7W77VH+WW
Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 31 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371126
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236775
Location: Felton, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Felton
Built-Up Area: Felton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Felton St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
FELTON FELTON PARK
NU 10 SE
6/106 Roman Catholic
Church of St. Mary
Roman Catholic Church, 1857, by Gilbert Blount for Thomas Riddell. Rock-faced
stone with ashlar dressings; graduated Lakeland slate roof. Three-bay
aisleless nave with south-west tower and south porch; two-bay chancel with
south sacristy and north vestry. Free C14 style.
Plinth, sill strings. West end has stepped diagonal buttresses and central
boarded double doors with foliate ironwork in moulded arch flanked by small
trefoil-headed windows; 4-light window above and small foiled light in gable.
Integral tower on right steps back to octagonal belfry with slatted trefoil-
headed openings and boldly-projecting angels at base of spire; small trefoiled
vents and moulded cap with wrought-iron finial. Steeply-gabled south porch
has moulded arch under canopied niches, stoup, stone seat and scissor-braced
roof. 2-light windows north and south of nave. Gabled sacristy has 2-light
windows flanking central buttress carrying chimney stack. East end has
stepped diagonal buttresses and 2 slits to crypt below 5-light window; spheric
triangle window in gable. Single-light windows on north of chancel above
vestry, which is part of former cloister linking to the adjacent now-demolished
house. All openings have hoodmoulds with variously-carved stops.
Moulded eaves cornices with gargoyles; coped gables on trefoil-panelled
kneelers; finial crosses.
Interior: Colourwashed. West gallery on 3 moulded arches. Richly-moulded
chancel arch on angel corbels, with canopied niche to right. Sedilia with
carved nodding ogee arches; pillar piscina with shelved recess. Arch-braced
collar-beam roof on angel corbels to nave, wagon roof to chancel. Carved
stone pulpit. On south nave wall 1870 brass to Thomas Riddell 'the Founder
of this Church': foliate cross with Virgin and Child in head, and Thomas
Riddell holding model of the church, at foot.
Listing NGR: NU1786400114
Other nearby listed buildings