This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7017 / 50°42'6"N
Longitude: -2.2756 / 2°16'32"W
OS Eastings: 380632
OS Northings: 89152
OS Grid: SY806891
Mapcode National: GBR 0ZR.TS1
Mapcode Global: FRA 6737.58B
Entry Name: Moreton House
Listing Date: 20 November 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305008
English Heritage Legacy ID: 108646
Location: Moreton, Purbeck, Dorset, DT2
Civil Parish: Moreton
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Moreton St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 88 NW
Mansion. Built between 1742 and 1745 by James Frampton, replacing an earlier house
of c1580. The building consists of three units:-
1. The north-east wing, originally containing laundry and other service rooms of
one storey and attics.
2. The central block originally containing kitchen, service rooms and minor -
bedrooms, of two storeys and attics.
3. The main house, of two storeys, attics and basement. This was extended to the
east in 1779.
The two service ranges were the first to be built, and appear to contain some
material from the former house.
Main house. Walls of ashlar stone, stone slate roofs with moulded eaves cornice,
stone stacks. Main west front has centre section slightly projecting, with
pediment. Semi-circular window in pediment. Central doorway with part-glazed doors
and fanlight under semi-circular moulded arch. Double-hung sash windows each side
of this in rusticated surrounds. Ground floor also has two double-hung sash windows
with glazing bars. First floor has three similar windows. Attic has two dormers
with shallow gabled roofs and sashes with glazing bars.
Main east front of 1779 has projecting bay in centre with three double-hung sash
windows with glazing bars on each floor. On each side of this, two windows on each
floor, some with double-hung sashes with glazing bars, some blocked. Three dormers
in attic, similar to those on west front. Internally, most rooms have contemporary
cornices and panelled doors. Good ornamental ceiling in hall, and one of 1779 in
Drawing Room. Several contemporary fireplace surrounds. Stone stairs with wrought
iron balustrade. On first floor, main landing enclosed by screen with Ionic
Central block has walls partly of rubble stone, partly of brick. Roof originally
stone slated, now partly replaced with tiles. Moulded eaves cornice on west front.
Rendered stacks. Main west front has three double-hung sash windows with glazing
bars on each floor. Windows in north and east walls have stone mullions, some
probably re-used from an earlier building. Attic has dormers with gabled roofs.
Internally, some first floor rooms have C18 panelling. This block linked to main
house by a passageway, originally open at ground floor level, now infilled.
North-east wing, now used as outbuildings, has walls partly of rubble stone, partly
of brick. Tiled roof with stone eaves courses. Brick stacks. Stone mullioned
windows; cambered stone lintels to doorways. Hipped dormers in attic.
A good C18 house retaining many original features.
RCHM Monument 5.
Listing NGR: SY8063289152
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings