This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6152 / 52°36'54"N
Longitude: 0.9089 / 0°54'32"E
OS Eastings: 597030
OS Northings: 305905
OS Grid: TF970059
Mapcode National: GBR SCG.2LT
Mapcode Global: WHLS9.XJZH
Plus Code: 9F42JW85+3H
Entry Name: Letton Hall Stables and Walled Garden
Listing Date: 21 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305322
English Heritage Legacy ID: 220797
Location: Cranworth, Breckland, Norfolk, IP25
Civil Parish: Cranworth
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Cranworth with Letton and Southburgh
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TF 90 NE
Letton Hall stables
and walled garden.
Former stables and walled garden. Stables c.1880, and later, walled garden
c.1790. Walled garden probably designed by Sir John Soane. Brick with slate
roofs. Stables on 3 sides of a courtyard with rear wall of central range
forming one side of walled garden. Central range consists of a symmetrical
2 storey centre block flanked by single storeyed side wings. Centre block
of 3 bays accentuated by giant pilasters and an open pediment to centre bay.
Semicircular headed openings to ground floor with central boarded door and
fanlight flanked by windows. Small first floor windows beneath segmental
arches also flank an upper 2-leaf boarded door. All window frames cast iron
with glazing bars. String course, moulded brick cornices, hipped roof and
side stacks. Wooden clock turret with a fish scale cupola roof and a weather
vane displaying the initials R.T.G. Side ranges not symmetrical with a 2
storeyed dwelling cum garages to south probably of later date. North range
single-storeyed except for 2-storeyed end pavilions with pyramidal roofs.
7 bays with 2-light mullion and transom windows beneath skewback arches.
Semicircular headed doorways and gault brick dentil cornices to end bays.
Central gabled lucam. Walled garden rectangular in plan with 3 entrances
to stables side, 2 of which consist each of a semicircular headed arch with
a segmental inner order flanked by pilasters. The iron hinges and lock
mechanisms are set in stone blocks. Other walls plain with some later open-
ings and buttressing.
Listing NGR: TF9703005905
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings